Skip to main content

Personal Best

I wish I could tell you about being my personal best as a mother, wife, or friend. Unfortunately, this is not the case. But while I am working on that, let me tell you about my new personal half-marathon record.


I am definitely NOT a friend of road running races. Especially not in Utah, where they all tend to be more or less downhill. That said, I was still really excited to run in the Salt Lake 1/2 marathon for a few reasons:
  • I got a complimentary race entry from the SLRC. How could I pass up a free race?
  • My friend Carlee was racing. I love racing with friends. Friday night was like a girls' night out and Saturday was a party!
  • Flat and/or downhill = fast. And that's always fun!


Highlights:
  • Feeling good rather than sick
  • Being able to push myself but not too hard
  • Chatting with friend and pro triathlete Malaika
  • A new PR 1:29:53
  • My 6:51 pace
  • 17th out of 2886 women
  • Carlee's PR
  • Chocolate milk and Creamies at the finish
Lowlights:
  • Boredom. Running on asphalt through a city is just not my kind of fun.
  • A 2-mile uphill stretch right at the end
  • Invisible mile markers
  • A 13-year-old dude running alongside me for the last 5 miles
Although I might actually consider the last one a highlight. I mean, really, this kid was great. Check it out. He does not even look like a runner. I was kind of glad though when he ran out of steam at the end. I was definitely NOT going to sprint to the finish line just so I could beat him. I think that's totally lame.


Now it is high time to get my cycling back. No more running escapades for a while. My focus is on triathlon.


Comments

WAY TO GO!!!!!! Haha I love the picture with that kid, and I love that you wouldn't let him beat you cause that "would have been totally lame," haha you're funny!
Elena Jube said…
Awesome job, Sarah! But I'm not sure why you call yourself a non-runner when you win races even while sick. I'm excited for you to win the Woman of Steel tri. Finishing alive is all I hope to do.
wilson4 said…
I love the picture with the kid. Great job!
Jamie Pearson said…
Hey good job. Wow running for over an hour doesn't sound like fun. I would love to be in shape like you but man running for that long....well who knows maybe one day. Oh yeah the kid in the picture totally doesn't look like a runner gotta love his outfit
Nate + Carlee said…
I can't believe THAT'S the kid you were talking about! Crazy! You did so awesome, and I have to agree with your lowlights (the mile markers drove me CRAZY!) You definitely made the race more fun for me though- I'm so glad you were able to come!
Smart Helm said…
Way to go! You can never pass up a free race...

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm