Skip to main content

I am so lucky



I feel the need to write.
My thoughts are all jumbled.
Can I make sense of them on paper?
Writing gives me perspective
and makes it easier to let go.

Last weekend I was
very frustrated,
mad,
self-centered,
unhappy,
wallowing in self-pity.

This weekend I was
more balanced,
a little more patient,
trying to be less selfish,
happy.

How did it happen?
I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now
and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way.
Like how to feel at peace with myself, my family, my life.
It shouldn't be complicated to be happy
in my circumstances.
I realize that.
But sometimes it still is.


Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me.
Sometimes I think everyone would be better off
if I wasn't a mom and wife.
Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and
do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two.

It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that.
Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warmth.
I've been there. I've done it. I love it.
Bike until you hit a wall. And then some.
Run yourself into the ground. And back out.
Swim until your arms fall off. And legs.
Smash yourself silly.
See what your body (and mind) is capable of.
That is my passion.

Karl, Noah, and I love the snow.
We could spend hours in it.
Max hates it.
He gets cold, wet, and bored.
Last Saturday we decided to go up in the mountains anyway.
It was a beautiful day and I was itching to get out.
Max was unhappy, miserable, and then screamed for about an hour.
That is when I lost it.
(And made everyone in my family unhappy and miserable.)


Here is what I did to get better.
My personal recipe for a change of mind and heart.

A hard bike session followed by a hard run.
Gets the frustration and anger out of my system.
Helps me focus.

A temple date with Karl.
Is there a better place to find peace?
Helps me get my priorities straight.
Reminds me of why I am here and what really matters.


Talk to Karl.
Communication is so important.
Yet, I am not always good at it.

Make plans. Lots of them.
I love plans. I need something to look forward to and be excited about.
Like a snow run to the top of Squaw Peak with Karl.
A mini training camp in St. George with Leslie.
A 25 km trail race on Antelope Island with friends.

A Super Saturday.
More about that in my next post.
I even took pictures!


I am very grateful to have an amazing husband that hasn't given up on me yet.
I love my 3 boys so much
and know that, in the end, nothing makes me happier
than being with them and enjoying all life has to offer with them.

I am so lucky!


Comments

jaredandgina said…
You are a great mom and wife Sarah and a good friend. We are all lucky to have you in our lives!

Love ya girl!
This ia great and honnest post. We all feel like that at times, I guess that's life...but it's good you have great ways to deal with it all, hard runs/biking mized with some temple in there it's great :)
JessWilson said…
What a beautiful, straight from the heart post. You're an amazing person and friend - and I'm with Gina that we are all lucky to have you in our lives! :)
Kjrstin said…
I like it! Love the formula. I need to get mine mastered now that I have Sage in the picture. And yes, some cool trips is a great idea. I think we're game for whatever! Maybe backpacking or maybe a cycling trip? Steve wants to spend some time in the Uintahs this summer. Let's make it happen! :)
Elena Jube said…
I think every mom feels that way sometimes; I know I do. Just not the part about doing nothing but swim/bike/run/eat/sleep. We all have our passions.

I think you're an amazing mom, actually. I wish I'd been as calm with my kids when they were little (and even now) as you are with yours whenever I see you. Everyone deserves a blow-up. I'm sure I could top your worst. Some of mine have been doozies.

You're doing great! I'm glad you have Karl, too.
Nate + Carlee said…
I love this post! You are so honest. I know exactly what you mean about having a "break down moment." If you ever want to plan another fun adventure to avoid another one I'm totally in! Also, I LOVE your new picture at the top. So cool!
Leslie said…
You're human...whew! I was beginning to wonder ;)
Sarah, you are such a great wife and mother, not to mention an athlete I idolize. Seriously, you're amazing. I can understand where you're coming from though, so I wouldn't think of belittling your feelings. Get them out, it's totally ok.
I'm so looking forward to St George next weekend where we can bike and run (and swim, or possibly freeze) ourselves silly!
Emily Nice said…
Sorry you were having a tough week, but its awesome that you were able to turn it around. I think you are a great mother!Balence is never an easy thing to find but sounds to me like you are able to do it!
Telitaadams said…
That was beautiful, Sarah. Thank you. Hugs, Leticia
Viegas-Haws said…
Hi Sarah! Thanks for sharing. Don't we all (mothers w/young kids) feel that way? Well, I know I do, just about everyday I loose it at some point. Today was an almost "perfect" day as far as kids behavior goes until Loic decided to be a pill when it was time to go to sleep (he is usually pretty good) and I told Tony "That's it, I am not taking care of him anymore-- It was probably a safer alternative at the time ;-). Anyways, I think the feeling of having lost control and craziness is just part of motherhood/ parenthood. A few hours pass and we can laugh about it right?! Okay, sometimes a few days... I'm sure you are a great wife and mom. You have a beautiful family. Next time you go to Germany I hope we can hook up our families.

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec