Skip to main content

St. George Half Marathon Race Report


In case you missed it, I attempted a race report here a few days ago but it got so lengthy that I had to turn it onto a pre-race report. Consider yourself warned...

Yup. That would be a heel strike

Start: 

Running races hurt. A lot. I try to mentally prepare  myself for the pain cave. But you never quite know what it's going to be like in that cave until you enter it. Running races are simple. I love simplicity. You just show up, chat it up, line up, and then try not to blow up. 

Mile 1: 6:35/mi

Surprised at how calm I am. No pre-race nerves whatsoever. I guess that after competing in one sport or another for the last 25 years, I am kind of over it. At least in a low-key race with no pressure. While it's nice in some ways, I miss the feeling of nervousness, anticipation, anxiety, and excitement all rolled into one. 

Mile 2: 6:48/mi

Running with new-found friend, Marci, for the first few miles. We met at the start and she is going just the right pace. We chat here and there for a bit but mostly just run side-by-side. Or me right on her heels. Sometimes, on order to find my own pace, I like to latch onto somebody else first and then see what feels right for myself. Just about the time when I tell her I have a feeling you are going to drop me any minute. Have a great race! I actually drop her. Oops. This was totally unintentional. Sorry, Marci!

Mile 3: 6:39/mi

I am liking these hills. More hills? Bring it! 


Trying to work the hills

Mile 4: 6:29/mi

Getting a little concerned that I am going too fast and will pay for it later. I told M a few days before the race that I am worried about dying a slow death after mile 10. Have not run longer than 10 miles since late last summer… Her advice: Prepare for it mentally! 

Mile 5: 6:54/mi

Deciding to adopt Chrissie Wellington's Let's make hay while the sun is shining! attitude. I can't slow down now just because I might blow up later. I will deal with that when I get there. 

Mile 6: 7:03/mi

Long, rather steep uphill. Knowing that it's the last (significant) uphill and followed by a nice downhill, I am able to close the gap to the guys in front of me and pass some of them. 

Mile 7: 6:52/mi

Let the mental games begin! Nice pace. Keep it up. - What if I can't keep it up? This is hard. - Half way there! This isn't so bad. - Only half way? Shoot. Seems like I've already been running forever. I have a long way to go when it comes to mental fortitude but I am making progress. Even if it might not seem that way…

Mile 8: 6:34/mi

Of course. UnderArmour-clad guys will not let girls pass them. At any cost. It's a fact but I go for it anyway… Fine then. I will just hug your heels and try again later. Thanks for pulling me along. 





Mile 9: 6:40/mi

Looks like I will be able to postpone the breakdown until at least Mile 10. I start making a plan: Hold this effort for  another mile. Just one more mile. Then make yourself suffer for 2 miles and for the last mile you are really going to put the hurt on everybody around you. But all you are going to think about right now is this next mile. Pretend the race is only 10 miles long. I am pretty good at fooling myself. It comes with practice. I also need to break down long efforts or I will start losing it.

Mile 10: 6:57/mi

Darn. I don't think this plan is going to work. Who do I think I am? But if I slow down now, I will only have to suffer even longer, so I might as well get this over with as fast as possible. Maybe I need a little distraction in form of a treat. I think it's time for a chocolate/mint party in my mouth! Out comes the GU

Mile 11: 7:00/mi

(Looking at my splits now, the plan is apparently not working so well. But in my head it is. And that's the only thing that matters.) What's up with all these funky looking runners in their cotton t-shirts and colorful tights around me out of the sudden? And the Grandpa that's trying to pass me? Help! I am losing it! It's also super windy out of the sudden, so I tuck myself in right behind some tall dude and push Grandpa out of his draft. Or so it seems. But Grandpa is happy to share the draft and we have a little chat. I am in love with fast Grandpas. 

Mile 12: 6:32/mi

Make it hurt! So far, despite my ups and downs, I am not really hurting yet. Truth be told: I am having fun. It's a blast! Some days I suffer so badly while seemingly standing still and it is no fun. Other days, like today, are a true suffer-fest. The pain is enjoyable! You know what I am talking about?

Mile 13: 6:19/mi

Time to dig deep. Make it hurt more. If this seems masochistic, it probably is. The last mile is somewhat of a blur. I do remember the feeling of pushing my body as hard as I can and loving it. Although I am not really going all that fast, I feel fast. This is huge. I never feel fast running! Suddenly, after not seeing a single girl since mile 3, I can see 2 girls ahead of me. I am making up time but not quite enough. I know that if I really wanted to I can catch at least one right before the finish. But I can't make myself do it. What's the point of dashing by your competitor in a mad sprint to the finish when you've had 13 miles to prove that you are faster than her? Instead, I ignore the Go get her! cheers, smile, and take a look at the race clock. Holy shivets! I am going to make it in 1:27:XX! Yessssssss!


I did it!

The Finish: 1:27:47

I am ecstatic! So is Coach M and HT! I think I surprised all of us! Who knew that I could hold a 6:42/mi average for 13.1 miles? I sure didn't! 

Yes. It was that close. 

The aftermath: 

Luckily, there was no aftermath this time around. I jogged to the car, changed, had some chocolate milk, met my friends at the finish, and was ready to get out of there and into a hot shower. It was very exciting to see so many of my friends and fellow HT Training athletes have phenomenal races. Congrats to all! 

I love analyzing workouts and races with Colleen and that's just what we did (while consuming large quantities of food) until it was time to pack the bags for an afternoon ride and swim with Coachie and friends. What a fantastic weekend! 

Thank you, Rue Family, for hosting me yet again! I owe you big time! Have I mentioned that Colleen's husband, Adam, was the race announcer? He did a great job! 






Comments

JessWilson said…
Sarah you are simply amazing!! Way to go on a awesome race and a PR!! Wahoo! And, as you already know, I love your race reports and all the detail you put into them. :)
Beth said…
Congrats on a great race! !! Loved your report!
Amber said…
Sarah..your write ups are the best!! It was so great to meet you!! Hope to see you soon. :)
jaredandgina said…
Awesome job Sarah! Man you are so lucky to get frequent weekends away from the kids how nice. I could use one of those right about now!! Loved reading all your posts. It is nice to know that it hurts you too.

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec