Skip to main content

In Training



I loved my off-season in late September and October. I am starting to think that it was not as off as it could/should have been but there's no looking back now!

I loved base/heart rate training in November and December. Against what some people might think: I enjoy going slow! I feel no need to push the pace unless Coach tells me to.

Now we are back at it! I have mixed feelings but, as we all know, there is nothing I like more than a little sufferfest. So far being back in training as manifested itself as follows:
  • Frequent ice baths. I passionately love and hate them at the same time! Especially in the winter when it takes me up to 5 hours to stop shivering after I get out. I have 10 blue ice packs in the freezer that I throw in the (already very cold) tub water and it gets the job done. Put them back in the freezer. Ready for next time. Cheap and environmentally friendly. 
  • I am back in the compression socks. Kinda glad it is winter and I can hide them under my pants. 
  • Our fridge is constantly empty. I am seriously wondering how much money we could save if neither Karl or I were exercising and thus consuming inordinate amounts of food. I am so sick of grocery shopping!
  • The house needs some serious cleaning. I am pretty good at picking up every night, doing laundry and dishes, vacuuming, etc. But cleaning a little deeper? No thanks. Can't be bothered.
  • The girl at the front desk at the gym tells me it confuses her that I show up twice a day. Every time I  come in she thinks it is a new day. Or something like that. 
  • I haven't not had a pony tail in ... maybe 5 weeks. Yes. That includes church.
  • I am having thoughts like: Wouldn't it be nice to be a Pro and be able to tell people/friends/family: Sorry. I can't make it. I got work. Rather than: Sorry. Can't come. Again. I need to spend even more time pursuing this ridiculous hobby.
  • I have no balance in my life. Or maybe I do. On the one side is my family and on the other triathlon. They balance each other out quite nicely. Only problem: There is nothing else to keep in balance. Or at least nothing that even comes close to family and triathlon. It's a little sad. 
  • I have our next date night all planned out. We watch a movie in the living room while we both work on getting my bike decently clean. Sounds very romantic, doesn't it? Maybe on Valentine's day...
  • I seem to be unable to finish blog posts. I compose about one or more a day in my head while training but can't find the time to actually sit down at the computer and put it into writing. So I am going to just hit "publish" and move on although at one point I had some great witty ideas for this post that won't come to me at the moment! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec