I loved base/heart rate training in November and December. Against what some people might think: I enjoy going slow! I feel no need to push the pace unless Coach tells me to.
Now we are back at it! I have mixed feelings but, as we all know, there is nothing I like more than a little sufferfest. So far being back in training as manifested itself as follows:
- Frequent ice baths. I passionately love and hate them at the same time! Especially in the winter when it takes me up to 5 hours to stop shivering after I get out. I have 10 blue ice packs in the freezer that I throw in the (already very cold) tub water and it gets the job done. Put them back in the freezer. Ready for next time. Cheap and environmentally friendly.
- I am back in the compression socks. Kinda glad it is winter and I can hide them under my pants.
- Our fridge is constantly empty. I am seriously wondering how much money we could save if neither Karl or I were exercising and thus consuming inordinate amounts of food. I am so sick of grocery shopping!
- The house needs some serious cleaning. I am pretty good at picking up every night, doing laundry and dishes, vacuuming, etc. But cleaning a little deeper? No thanks. Can't be bothered.
- The girl at the front desk at the gym tells me it confuses her that I show up twice a day. Every time I come in she thinks it is a new day. Or something like that.
- I haven't not had a pony tail in ... maybe 5 weeks. Yes. That includes church.
- I am having thoughts like: Wouldn't it be nice to be a Pro and be able to tell people/friends/family: Sorry. I can't make it. I got work. Rather than: Sorry. Can't come. Again. I need to spend even more time pursuing this ridiculous hobby.
- I have no balance in my life. Or maybe I do. On the one side is my family and on the other triathlon. They balance each other out quite nicely. Only problem: There is nothing else to keep in balance. Or at least nothing that even comes close to family and triathlon. It's a little sad.
- I have our next date night all planned out. We watch a movie in the living room while we both work on getting my bike decently clean. Sounds very romantic, doesn't it? Maybe on Valentine's day...
- I seem to be unable to finish blog posts. I compose about one or more a day in my head while training but can't find the time to actually sit down at the computer and put it into writing. So I am going to just hit "publish" and move on although at one point I had some great witty ideas for this post that won't come to me at the moment!