Skip to main content

Riding the Hog


Sand Hollow, Utah

It's that time of year. 
Time to ride the bike. 
A lot. 

Riding bikes happens to be my favorite pastime, so I am one happy camper over here! 
Especially on days when I am not just holding on for dear life because of ridiculous winds. 
Those days are few and far between during spring up here in Flagstaff, so they are very much appreciated. 

But after a while the wind and cold gets to me and then it's time for a little escape to a warmer place! 

early morning in front of Steve's house

I have loved visiting Steve, Fuji rep extraordinaire, and his wife Nancy in Fountain Hills (down by Phoenix) a couple of times for some excellent riding. Unfortunately, my first race of the season got rained out and canceled during my second visit but that didn't keep me from riding my bike all day. Such great weather down there! 

top of Snow Canyon

In January I went up to St. George to pick up my new bike and to ride with friends and I was lucky to be able to go back with the family over spring break and get in a whole bunch of more miles now that the bike is all dialed in. I am having so much fun on that thing! I knew it would be fun to ride a new bike but I didn't know just HOW MUCH fun! I am loving it. 

photo by Amy Perez

Over spring break I rode by Gunlock reservoir many times. Three out of five times I saw wild donkeys on and by the road. Lots of them. Just hanging out. I am not a fan of cows on my road but I will take donkeys. Really, I will take (almost) any distraction after riding on my own for hundreds of miles in one week. 

 After another windy and chilly couple of weeks, I can't wait to pack my bags and head to Tucson for 3 days next week. With KH in her VW bus. Oh yeah. A mini training camp where we will ACTUALLY be camping. Mt. Lemmon is calling my name! We are in for a treat! 


The view from my bed. Oh the joys of apartment living. But I don't mind having the Fuji on one side and the husband on the other. I like 'em both. 

In other news: 

I crashed on today's group ride. It was 100% my fault and luckily I was the only one going down. Totally lame and quite embarrassing*. I will spare you the details. I got some nasty road rash but nothing that won't heal rather quickly. Or so I hope. The status of the knee is to be determined but considering I rode another 50 miles after the crash and ran an hour when I got home and the knee is not in terrible shape, I am hoping for the best.

The bike seems to be in good shape. PHEW! 


Racing season has started for many, so a big shout out to everyone competing! 
I love following races and reading race reports. I am a nerd that way. 


*Yes. I rode a TT bike on a group ride. No. The reason I crashed is not because I was in aero position while drafting. Duh! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec