Skip to main content

Riding the Hog


Sand Hollow, Utah

It's that time of year. 
Time to ride the bike. 
A lot. 

Riding bikes happens to be my favorite pastime, so I am one happy camper over here! 
Especially on days when I am not just holding on for dear life because of ridiculous winds. 
Those days are few and far between during spring up here in Flagstaff, so they are very much appreciated. 

But after a while the wind and cold gets to me and then it's time for a little escape to a warmer place! 

early morning in front of Steve's house

I have loved visiting Steve, Fuji rep extraordinaire, and his wife Nancy in Fountain Hills (down by Phoenix) a couple of times for some excellent riding. Unfortunately, my first race of the season got rained out and canceled during my second visit but that didn't keep me from riding my bike all day. Such great weather down there! 

top of Snow Canyon

In January I went up to St. George to pick up my new bike and to ride with friends and I was lucky to be able to go back with the family over spring break and get in a whole bunch of more miles now that the bike is all dialed in. I am having so much fun on that thing! I knew it would be fun to ride a new bike but I didn't know just HOW MUCH fun! I am loving it. 

photo by Amy Perez

Over spring break I rode by Gunlock reservoir many times. Three out of five times I saw wild donkeys on and by the road. Lots of them. Just hanging out. I am not a fan of cows on my road but I will take donkeys. Really, I will take (almost) any distraction after riding on my own for hundreds of miles in one week. 

 After another windy and chilly couple of weeks, I can't wait to pack my bags and head to Tucson for 3 days next week. With KH in her VW bus. Oh yeah. A mini training camp where we will ACTUALLY be camping. Mt. Lemmon is calling my name! We are in for a treat! 


The view from my bed. Oh the joys of apartment living. But I don't mind having the Fuji on one side and the husband on the other. I like 'em both. 

In other news: 

I crashed on today's group ride. It was 100% my fault and luckily I was the only one going down. Totally lame and quite embarrassing*. I will spare you the details. I got some nasty road rash but nothing that won't heal rather quickly. Or so I hope. The status of the knee is to be determined but considering I rode another 50 miles after the crash and ran an hour when I got home and the knee is not in terrible shape, I am hoping for the best.

The bike seems to be in good shape. PHEW! 


Racing season has started for many, so a big shout out to everyone competing! 
I love following races and reading race reports. I am a nerd that way. 


*Yes. I rode a TT bike on a group ride. No. The reason I crashed is not because I was in aero position while drafting. Duh! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju...

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm...

Oceanside 70.3 Race Report

(Grab a chair and get comfy, cause this might be kinda long.)  Left Thursday morning with my questionable travel companion , Nate, who turned out to be awesome. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with a nice guy who is a Coach, about to turn Pro, happens to have worked as a bike mechanic, and likes things low-key before a race? Score !  I was super excited to see my friend, Carlee , as soon as we got to the hotel. She provided plenty of entertainment! Both nights I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had to force myself not to look at her or I would bust up laughing (again) for no apparent reason. She is that cool and funny !  I was super duper excited to see the ocean ! I had not been in a few years and it was my first visit to Oceanside. I had been envisioning myself in a beautiful beach town bathing in warmth and sunshine all winter long. This was going to be the reward for many treadmill runs, trainer rides, and bricks in freezing temperat...