Skip to main content

Race Report: 2015 OCEANSIDE 70.3


I just counted. I have TEN drafts saved on here. Ten potential blog posts from the last few months that I have a put a fair amount of work into and then never got around to finishing them. That makes me sad. Because I truly like to write and share more than just race reports! So here is to a new start and keeping this blog more regularly updated. Not because I think more than five of you care but because I care! And because I have a degree in linguistics after all. So scribbling down grocery lists and workout notes doesn't always cut it.

Photo credit: Katie Morse

I did this race in 2012 and wrote ALL about it here. It wasn't one bit what I had been hoping for (except for that slot to 70.3 Worlds) and I had no desire to go back. So I didn't. But with Leadman 125 no longer an option, I had to reconsider Oceanside. And I am so glad I did!!! What made it so miserable in 2012 was mostly the weather. All winter I had been looking forward to warm and sunny California but race week turned out to be wet, grey, and cold. This time it didn't disappoint and all of my (weather-related) dreams came true!

First thing I did to get ready for this trip was to walk downtown with Max to rent a car. First time in my life that I rented a car! Pretty exciting and so much more fun to drive than our old and beat-up Subaru. That way Karl and kids were able to go on their own adventures while I was in California. Huge thanks to D. Bednar Law Office for making this possible! 

Perfect day for a little ride!

First thing I did in California was to go for a bike ride to the ocean with my home-stay, John! THAT was awesome. I called him when I got off the freeway and he said: "I am about to go for a bike ride." And I said: "Wait for me! I wanna come!" Good thing John is a very patient man because what should've taken 15 minutes ended up taking 45 since I like to drive old-school and figure out where I am going by myself. Which sometimes means I get lost. A whole bunch. But then afterwards I know my way around pretty well! 

My beautiful home for the weekend. 

I have to admit I was a little beside myself on the first day. Or two. Or three. I had pretty much just arrived in paradise and I couldn't get over how people actually LIVE here and don't just burst with happiness every single day. Seriously.


Alga Norte Public Pool 

Next up was a dip in the new community pool just 3 minutes down the road. Talk about a fancy pool! I counted more than 20 lap lanes! And ran into Coeur Sports teammate Andrea which was so fun! Swimming after a long day of driving is simply the best! And a good way to calm down...

The next morning brought more fun and awesomeness! I got up, walked out the front door and through this beautiful little park...






...and - voila - I was at the little neighborhood pool which I had all to myself!




See what I mean? I called Karen about every 3 minutes all weekend long because I had to share this goodness with SOMEONE! (And I was afraid that if I called the husband every time, he would send someone to come get me for fear I was never gonna come back.)




 I could've swum in that nice warm pool all day long. But all I got was 15 minutes and that was ok because I then got to ride my Fuji bike in paradise for a bit.




Definitely not a bad place for some transition training.




Packet pick-up and pro meeting aren't my favorite things to do but considering that this was the venue, it wasn't too bad:


Oceanside Pier and Expo

And it's always fun to meet friends and make new ones. I had brought my wet suit (which I hadn't worn since November) hoping to take a quick dip in the ocean to get a feel for things but then I chickened out all by myself and figured race-morning would be soon enough.

The kid at packet pick-up gave me this lucky bag, so I figured nothing could go wrong now!



Pre-Race 

First one in transition. Just the way I like it. Plenty of time to get everything organized, warm up, chat with friends, and wait in line to use walk straight into the port-a-potty that says Female Pros Only. Yep, it's the little things that get me excited! I even had time to make a new friend as we were squeezing ourselves into wetsuits. I really do love all of the girls I get to race with!

Photo Credit: Triathlete Magazine

The Swim - 29:42 (1:32/100m)

Water was 10 (!) degrees warmer this year than in 2012! That made me happy. However, the pro men got 10 minutes to warm up in the water and we only had about 3. I had figured as much and planned accordingly by bringing cords to warm up with on land but what a disappointment when it comes to gender equality in this sport!

I had a hard time figuring out where to position myself since the kayak trying to keep us in line seemed to take up half of the space between the buoys. And so I promptly found myself in the wrong spot when the gun went off. Sort of in no-man's land from the beginning. Which made for a very calm start but not a very happy Coach afterwards. And - WHY didn't you find a group to swim with in a rather large field? - Ahem, well, I sort of messed up the start. I get worried about having an anxiety attack at the beginning of the swim and suffocating in the water. - And you are trying to race as a Pro? Get your act together! Ok. These weren't her EXACT words but... pretty much.

The good news is that there was PLENTY of oxygen in the air! When you are used to swimming at 7,000ft and come down to sea level, everything at least breathing seems much easier! So I found a good rhythm and kept the group ahead of me in sight and half-way to the turn-around I could tell that I was making up time on them! And by the turn buoy I had caught up, took the very shortest line around, and found myself right behind the girls leading the pack! Talk about a fun ride all the way back to the end! I was LOVING it.

Overall, I am happy with how it went. Mostly because I felt like I had burned ZERO mental matches due to the calm start and swimming back with a little pack. The time is decent but improvable. And I had a LOT more fun than last time.

Lesson learned: 

Be smarter and more aggressive at the start! You can actually swim with (some of these) girls, so you'd better be ready to hit it when the gun goes off! And, no, you will NOT die if someone touches you or if you swallow a bit of water. Even if it might seem like it.


T1 - 3:07

I was super happy to see that I came out of the water right behind Sarah P, Liz L, and Laura S! I consider that some pretty good company. And, boy, were they SPRINTING down and back up that long transition. Like - all out! I was already trying to hang on for dear life and we hadn't even gotten on the bike yet!

Luckily I transitioned well except for the snafu with the race belt we needed to wear on the bike already. Only took me - oh - 25 tries to close it with my cold hands.

Considering that I always put my shoes on BEFORE I get on the bike, I was happy to get out of T1 right with the other girls. And here is proof that you can do a decent mount WITH your shoes already on your feet: 


Photo Credit: Tri Club California

The Bike - 2:31:59 (22.11 mi/h)

Same issue as last time: WHAT to do with the sunglasses? It was super foggy again and the glasses were a mess. No matter how hard and often I tried, I couldn't see a thing through them. It could've easily pissed me off because I HATE riding without sunglasses, but I stayed surprisingly focused and eventually gave up. Sunglasses in the bra it was. Another reminder of how much I truly love racing in the DESERT! 

Sarah P disappeared into the distance rather fast but I was feeling quite fine riding behind Liz and Laura. UNTIL the fog started to affect my brain after about 5 miles and I was thinking: Who do I think I am riding with these girls? I am not in their league and I'd better let them go because... well, I am just not as strong as they are. I will try to stay with whoever comes by next. 

Now THAT was a mistake. Because no one ever came by! And by 'ever' I mean not for another 38 miles! At which point we had been climbing some hills and I was seeing a few girls up ahead that I was closing in on. And the first male age grouper had caught up to me. But 38 miles is a HECK of a long time to be riding completely solo in a race! I will give myself some credit for staying pretty focused and not letting it affect me too much. At least I didn't have to worry about any penalties! And seeing how there weren't NEARLY enough hills for me on this course, I am super excited for St. George 70.3. I love me a hilly bike course! 

Lesson learned: 

Do NOT let girls get away simply because you decide you can't ride with them. Try to (legally) hang on and see what happens. SO WHAT if you die on the run? Find out what your limits are and then reassess. 

Photo Credit: Katie Morse 


The Run - 1:34:41 (7:13/mi)

Well, THAT certainly wasn't the run I was hoping for! And, yes, I still dislike the run course just as much as I did back in 2012. And I am not even sure why! I mean, who doesn't like to run along the ocean?!? But lest you think it's flat - it's NOT! Nor is it hilly. I don't know WHAT it is. But I do know that this run course and I don't get along. So there. 

I have a feeling that Coach thinks I had already decided to hate the run (again) before I even started it but I honestly don't think that was the case. I was trying to give it my best shot but my best just wasn't very good that day. And I am ok with that. I know that I didn't give up on myself and (unlike 2012) I have no regrets. I did what I could - mentally and physically - and that's all I can ask of myself. 

One thing that did perform flawlessly was my Coeur kit. Just love it! 
Photo Credit: Katie Morse 



Post-Race 

Post-race went like this: 

Oh, hey, Gregg! Thank you so much for coming down and cheering for me! Did you bring your swim shorts? Let me run to my car and get my bikini and then let's swim in the ocean, shall we? 


I did grab a few bites to eat and chatted with some of the other girls but then it was straight to the beach and into the waves! Best warm-down ever! The waves washed away any traces of disappointment that I may have had regarding the race and I came out of the water happy and grateful. It was so much fun! Thanks, Gregg! 



Not a bad place to hang out and wait for John to come home and tell me all about his first 70.3. Them I was off to find my way over to Encinitas for a Coeur Sports get-together which was, of course, fantastic! So fun to meet such a great group of people! And, by the way, their gear this year is THE BOMB! 


John and his daughter

John did fantastic and it was fun to share race stories. His wife and daughter had come to cheer him on and found me as well. Thanks for the cheers! In case you can't tell, I COMPLETELY lucked out with this amazing home-stay family. I am so grateful to Ironman for hooking us up and to the Rollins Family for hosting me. It was a weekend in paradise! Thank you! 


A huge Thank You to my fantastic sponsors:


Coeur Sports - The BEST in women's athletic wear

 T3 Triathlon - My FAVORITE triathlon shop

Fuji Bikes - In LOVE with my Norcom Straight

Zoot Shoes - My shoes of choice since 2008

Cobb Saddles - Most COMFORTABLE saddle ever

Osmo Nutrition - Hydration at its BEST

Tifosi Sunglasses - I wear them every single day! 




Comments

Anonymous said…



Good day!

we are easy loan lenders, we lend loan in a low interest rate of 2%, we are fast and reliable and also we are trust worthy, if you are interested in getting a legitimate loan from our company kindly get back to us now with this information so that we can immediately proceed with your loan request from our company, hare are the details needed from you to get a legitimate loan from us, Kindly get back to us through our Email: carlosinvestment@hotmail.com

APPLICATION FORM

Name:_________
Address:_________
Country:_________
Occupation:_________
Loan Request__________
Purpose of loan__________
Loan Duration__________
Monthly Income:_________
Phone Number:_________

Kindly get back to us through our Email: carlosinvestment@hotmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf

When the wheels come off...

(some of) NAU Masters I know I have been racing pretty well lately. I also know that I have plenty of workouts where I don't even come close to nailing it. Some days I feel like crap the minute I leave the house and would rather go back home than keep running or biking. Monday was one of those days... I took the week after Boise pretty easy . Lots of fun workouts, very little structure. I absolutely love having a coach and a plan but I am also a big fan of just going out and doing whatever I feel like. The next week was still pretty low-key . Partly because Karl was out of town, partly because I was still enjoying a nice little mid-season break. Then I had a couple of good training days and was ready to get back at it. Or so I thought. Monday actually started out better than anticipated. I was excited to be back with the NAU Masters and we even had 2 famous visitors: Leanda Cave , triathlon world champion. Thorsten Abel , Leanda's husband and successful German pro triat