Skip to main content

Feat of Fortitude - Half Triathlon


The alarm went off way too soon on Sunday morning. 4 am? Really? Well, it was time to move my butt out of bed for Feat of Fortitude Part II: the Mountain Man Half Triathlon.

Why did I choose to run a Half Marathon one day and do a Half Triathlon the next?
Because the prize for the fastest combined time of these events was free entries to both events next year! Considering our financial situation, I had to give it a shot.

I knew I was not going to have enough time on race morning but I just could not handle the thought of waking up at 3:30 am. And I paid for it. I forgot to tape a couple of GUs onto my bike. Lesson #1: No matter how early the race starts, I need to be there at least 2 hours early. Most people don't need that much time but I do. I always have. I like to get a good spot, set everything up perfectly, take my bike for a little spin (when allowed), run, stretch, chat, etc. Those might be my favorite 2 hours of race day!

The swim was great! I was loving it! Maybe not the extremely murky water or the gas/oil taste in my mouth or the fact that I just could not see those buoys. But, you know, everything else. I actually had some feet to hang onto! It was great until I realized that the girl could either see the buoys even less than I could or she just was not able to swim a straight line. So much for that. I think I ended up pulling her for most of the way until she came around me at the last buoy and exited the water as the 1st girl. Not sure what happened to her after that but she must've been in a relay.

I am afraid that the reason I like the swim so much in a race is that I just don't push hard enough. I remember thinking toward the end of the swim: Dang. Now I have to get out of the water and actually start working. I can't just think of the swim as a little warm-up to the actual race. Lesson #2: Race the swim! I am pretty sure I have never heard of anybody saying they pushed too hard in the swim and therefore fell apart on the bike.

I know the bike course really well. Yep. You guessed it. We biked on Lake Mary Road. Just like we do every day. Hopefully a little faster though... The ride was pretty uneventful. The guys started 7 minutes ahead of us which always provides plenty of entertainment.

Favorite conversation of the day:

Guy, passing me: You should really get an aero helmet.

Me, passing him back a few minutes later: Not as long as I can pass guys with aero helmets.

15 minutes later. Guy passes me again.

Me: You are probably right.

Disclaimer: He was part of a relay!

I will not own an aero helmet. Unless I were a professional. Because I will never be a professional I will never own an aero helmet. But I might borrow one next weekend...




Quizz: What's wrong with these pictures?

Nope. It is not the fact that I am passing a guy on a very nice bike with race wheels, aero helmet, and compression socks who started 7 minutes ahead of me. I actually think that's kind of fun and part of the entertainment.

It is my non-existing aero position! What is up with that? I am not even really in my aero bars. Lame!

Lesson #3: Get in your aero bars. All the way. Stay there!

photo: courtesy of John Lowe

It was wonderful to have my parents at the race! They are great cheerleaders as you can see above. (My dad is the one in the distance with the hat.) They sacrificed a lot of time and money in my youth to support me in various sports and races. Thank you!

As you can also see, I, again, stuffed everything in my chest area at T2 until I had it all sorted out. Good times. Bad pictures. I am not a fan of putting on my Garmin while running but I was glad to be able to keep track of some very long miles.


I was feeling great on the run. At first. Even on the 1.5 mile steep climb and the descent. I could see the other girls and knew I had a pretty good lead. Nevertheless, there was no time to waste and when I had to go pee-pee I went right in my DeSoto Liftfoil. (After stopping a total of about 6 times during Challenge Roth, I vowed I would never stop again to pee in a race.) I am trying to figure out what to wear in Vegas since it might be a non-wetsuit swim. I really like biking and swimming in the Liftfoil but now that I have worn it swimming in the pool, I am not so sure it makes for a great swim skin. We'll see.


Karl and Noah were all over the run course! It as fantastic! Best support crew ever! You can't see Noah very well in this picture but he is pedaling happily behind Karl on his trail-a-bike. They biked 20 miles that day! Thank you for making the extremely boring and deserted run course a little more bearable and way more fun!

Local super star, Paul Brinkman, biked by me at mile 7 and asked: Are you feeling it yet? To which I replied: Not yet! It was the truth a that point but I also knew that I would be feeling it pretty soon. And I sure did!

Miles 8-13 were very challenging. Mentally and physically. It was rough. My digestive system was having issues and so were my legs. I was running out of energy. Looking bad I can't believe how little I drank on the bike. I only went through one small aero bottle and half of my EFS mixture. What was I thinking? I tried to get a water bottle at an aid station but missed it. Not good. Nutrition definitely did not go well that day. Lesson #4: Stay on top of your nutrition! I am usually pretty good at that but this race was a good reminder that you just can't go by feel. You need to take in the calories/water whether you feel hungry/thirsty or not.


Is this race over yet? I am so done!

Then I tossed my flask and electrolytes on the ground. I knew Max would be thrilled to be drinking my EFS. Only one more long mile to go!


If the last 5 miles were bad, the aftermath was worse. I pretty much spent the rest of the afternoon/evening in the bathroom. I was completely exhausted and my GI was not very happy. What a bummer! I missed awards and did not get to visit with anybody after the race. I was really hoping to meet some other triathletes from Arizona but that did not happen.

It was not so much the Half Marathon/Half Triathlon combination that did me in. It was my failing to take care of my nutrition. I am sure of that. But: the lessons are learned and I am hoping to be able to cross the finish line in Vegas feeling spent but able to function and enjoy the festivities!

Congratulations to all of my Flagstaff friends! Especially to Karen Haubensak who had a fantastic race in her first Half and won her age group!

Thank you to my family, PowerTri, friends,and HT training! I could not do it without you! You are the best!




Comments

Adam Weaver said…
Awesome blog!
JessWilson said…
Great post Sarah! I really like the long posts and all the detail that you put into it. And I love the pics of you passing the aero guy. Priceless. It was great to talk to you the last week. Good luck this weekend!! Can't wait to read that race report. :)
Super bike $10,000, Aero Helmet $150.00,You passing a guy who has both priceless.
Leslie said…
Turn an alarm on your Garmin to go off every 15-30 min if it will help you hydrate more, I know I have to it I forget too. Congrats on a great race though! So glad your parents could be there, that's a priceless picture of them there cheering you on
Karen said…
I LOVE that you mention me in your blog! I feel so super special! One of the best parts of the race for me was passing this grandparental couple, pushing a stroller. I came up from behind them, and the grandpa turned around to face me, bent himself slightly over so that he was a few inches shorter (like at my height), then began clapping. At. a. super. slow. cadence. Clap. Clap. clap. Clap. It was only 1 mile into the run but already I was feeling like, whoa, this is going to be a helluva long, slow run. This guy's clapping only emphasized it. I ran. past. him. at. the. same. slow. rate. as. his. clapping. And then I see Max in the stroller -- hey, it's Sarah's parents!!!! Not knowing whether they could understand me or not (I wish I knew "friend of Sarah" in German!) I yelled, Hey! I'm a friend of Sarah's!!!! And they did respond like they understood. Sarah's dad kept clapping.

It was a super nice boost of encouragement! Of course, it was all downhill from there...

It was so awesome being at the race with you Sarah, and I feel so blessed that I know you and that I get to train with you sometimes - even when you drop me on the bike and I'm yelling at the top of my lungs WAIT FOR ME!! and you can't hear me because you're working so hard... Love you for that, girl! You're awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Freedom Run

I decided to celebrate my freedom by running the Freedom Run 10k . Not exactly my favorite kind of race but definitely one to make me feel alive and happy . For this girl endorphins = happiness . I know. I know. It's not everlasting happiness. But I will take it. The more happiness, the better . Right? My motto for this race: "A lot of people race to see who is fastest . ` I race to see who has the most guts ." -Steve Prefontaine It's time for me to show some guts in racing and training. Time to get out of the grey zone and push myself hard. Time to really hurt and put it all on the line. I wanted to run sub 40 minutes. That is a 6:25 pace. That is fast for me. The plan was to start out fast and try to hold it. If I was going to die at the end, so be it. Fortunately, I had some great company for the Sufferfest . It went something like this: I convinced Jen . Jen convinced Carlee . Carlee convinced Heather . Here we are ready to race We also have matchi