Skip to main content

IM AZ - Spectating Extravaganza


professional spectator at work

I have been waiting for this weekend all year long! I like to race but there is nothing like spending a weekend spectating and cheering with friends for friends. Love it! Especially considering our awesome set-up. I got spoiled and enjoyed every minute of it! 

Highlights of Super Saturday: 
  • Hanging out with Karen all weekend. Love that girl! On Friday night I was in my usual I-hate-to-pack-and-leave-my-routine-and-would-rather-back-out-of-this-trip mood. But knowing that Karen would pick me up early the next morning ready to party, got me off the couch and filling my bags. By 8am Max had already been throwing about 24 tantrums that day, so you can imagine my relief that I didn't, indeed, change my mind. See ya, Karl! I am outta here! 
  • Swim session with Coach Heath. In a lovely outdoor saltwater pool. Heaven! Now I just need to figure out how to convince Heath to (at least temporarily) move to Flagstaff. Then there might be a very slight chance that my swim would actually improve. There is hope. You are the best, Heath!
  • Riding bikes with Karen and Robin. In summer attire. It was fantastic even if we had to ride single-file way too often. Thank you for the tour of your 'neighborhood', Robin!
  • Hanging out on Robin's fancy patio in spandex enjoying the warm afternoon sun. It is so incredibly nice to come back from a ride, be able to relax and chat a little, and take a shower! I love my kids but I sure do enjoy a break here and there! 
  • The best (gluten-free) Pizza ever at La Grande Orange. 
  • A king-size bed all to myself! Wow. I was ready for some good sleep!
Highlights of Race Day: 
  • The incredibly spectator-friendly race venue. Start/T1/T2/Finish is all in one place! 3 loops on the bike. 3 loops on the run. Could it be any easier? Awesome! We went on a family ride around the area just this weekend and I was telling Karl: You and the kids stay at Jordan's house. You take it easy in the morning and play. I know where to park. Then you come over to see me finish the bike. You should hang out with Paul and friends at the Center for the Arts where the kids can play in the water. Definitely go back and forth over the little pedestrian bridge. That way you can see me 6 times on the run. Then just walk over to the finish. Karl's reply: I am glad you have gotten that part all figured out! Problem is: I am not doing the race! Ha! Didn't do it this year, not doing it next year, and who knows what 2014 will bring. But, just in case, Karl now knows the plan! 
  • Having Paul B's condo, which is a block away from the finish line, as our base for the day. How convenient is that? Even better is hanging out with Paul, John, and Co. for most of the day. These guys are professional spectators and had it all planned out. 
  • Seeing new and old friends smash the swim!
  • A little run along the run and bike course while cheering and chatting. Oh, and we ran into Siri Lindley, coach extraordinaire, who (just like everyone else) is best friends with Paul. She was super nice and funny! How cool. 
  • Another beautiful outdoor swim at ASU. We had the entire pool to ourselves. I told you I got spoiled. Fast transition, back on the bike, over to the run course, just in time to catch the lead guys come by. 
  • Cheering for so many friends. It was inspiring and I loved every minute of it. 
  • From 3-6 Karen and I had a great time volunteering at the TriSports.com aid station. For 3 hours straight I offered my favorite beverage* to hundreds of amazing athletes while yelling Coke! Cola! Coke! Cola! It was a fantastic experience and I will be back next year! 
  • More sandwiches and chips at Paul's before heading home. Spectating is serious business and we were worn out at the end of a long day! 

* No worries. I only (!) drink Coke during the second part of the run in a race. At that point it's basically a life-saver. 


The entire weekend was an absolute blast! 
The more fun I have, the less pictures I take. 
I have zero pictures of this weekend... 

I am grateful for everyone I got to hang out with 
and every single racer I got to cheer on! 
You guys are the best! 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju...

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm...

Oceanside 70.3 Race Report

(Grab a chair and get comfy, cause this might be kinda long.)  Left Thursday morning with my questionable travel companion , Nate, who turned out to be awesome. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with a nice guy who is a Coach, about to turn Pro, happens to have worked as a bike mechanic, and likes things low-key before a race? Score !  I was super excited to see my friend, Carlee , as soon as we got to the hotel. She provided plenty of entertainment! Both nights I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had to force myself not to look at her or I would bust up laughing (again) for no apparent reason. She is that cool and funny !  I was super duper excited to see the ocean ! I had not been in a few years and it was my first visit to Oceanside. I had been envisioning myself in a beautiful beach town bathing in warmth and sunshine all winter long. This was going to be the reward for many treadmill runs, trainer rides, and bricks in freezing temperat...