Skip to main content

Racing in Europe: Ironman 70.3 KRAICHGAU 2014


As you can tell: Spectators galore! They were ALL OVER the course. Love it. 


Racing in Europe is just plain awesome! And the husband has GOT to figure out a way to get a post-doc over there next year. I am dying to live back home (or in any of the surrounding countries, preferably a warm one) for a few years and being able to race my little heart out all over the place and mostly within a few hours of my house! 

Kraichgau is a good one! This year it was already organized by Ironman but still run under the Challenge banner. Don't ask. It's complicated. Kraichgau is an area very close to my childhood home and often when I go on long rides I come through its villages and beautiful countryside. So to race there is a no-brainer! My dad came with me because he loves this sport and he loves me. Racing is so much easier when you have a (what Witsup calls) supportive dude. My dad makes a great supportive dude! Last year my whole family came to watch and cheer but, seeing how they will be at Luxembourg 70.3 next weekend, this was a daddy/daughter endeavor. 

Two years ago, I wrote a very detailed blog post about this race, so if you want to know more about this specific race, you can read about it here. I love both Kraichgau 70.3 and Luxembourg 70.3 but if you made me pick one over the other, I would probably choose Luxembourg. Which is why I spent much more time telling you about that one this year. It could be that I am simply more familiar with the area and the culture and I find racing in new places exciting! Here I am just going to pick out a few highlights... Race video by tri-mag.de here


I am second from the bottom! Love this hard and technical bike course! 

First Paycheck 

I made it into the Top 10 in the Pro Women field! The award ceremony was awesome. It's always a big deal in Germany and this one didn't disappoint. Everyone hangs out for a long time after races to eat, drink, and chat. Often all day. There is always super yummy and healthy food for sale (besides the athlete area which has free food for the athletes) and showers are provided for the athletes! I have never been to a race in Germany - not even a 5k - where there wasn't a nice play to shower afterwards. Get with the program, USA! Anyway... I was thrilled to be up there on the podium with the fast girls and it was great to get to know some of them better. The paycheck wasn't big but it was something! I'd say my second race in the professional ranks was a success! 


Personal Aid Station Helper

This was the first race that I have been to where it is allowed that a personal helper (in this case my dad) hands me my own nutrition (whatever that may be) at an aid station. It was great! He had to be at the end of the aid station but otherwise there seemed to be no rules. (I double checked to make sure this really was ok before the race.) The run loop is 3 out-n-backs so he positioned himself at an aid station that I would come by 5 times.  I kept it simple (coke, water, and gels) but I loved knowing that I am getting exactly what and how much I need. I feared that EVERYONE was going to take advantage of this and the aid station would be a mile long but either people didn't know or they didn't care. Even better for me! Not sure this is still the case at this race but I sure hope so! 


First Doping Control 

As soon as I crossed the finish line, I was whisked away for doping control. First time in 18 years of racing! It's about time! There were a LOT of athletes getting tested, including ages groupers, and I wish it was like this at every race! I am sure it was no coincidence that the first time I get tested is at a race in Germany. 

Bummer was, I had no clue what to expect. First, they needed some sort of ID. Well, I had JUST crossed the finish line and of course I don't race with my driver's license on me... I also didn't have any in my dry clothes bag. I had to get a hold of my dad to go to the car to get my wallet. Which I was lucky to have brought at all! Of course I didn't have my dad's cell number memorized, my mom wasn't home, and it took a while to get a hold of him. By now I was starving and freezing. In the meantime, I saw Sebi Kienle get pulled for drug testing and his girlfriend just hands him his diver's license. D'uh! He is clearly an expert. And I am clearly a newbie. And, while I am trying to explain to this lady that I am German... I mean American... I mean German but I race for USAT... And represent Germany..., Sebi goes: "Give this girl some coke. I think her blood sugar is low!" We had a good laugh about that one! My parents live about 20 minutes from his house so our paths have crossed multiple times but I am always a bit start struck when he actually remembers my name. He is the NICEST guy but I feel more comfortable talking to his girlfriend who is actually a local running celebrity... 

Of course I had no problem peeing. I chugged some water and - voila. Give me that test tube! Oh, someone needs to watch me pee? No problem. At home I have someone (i.e. my kids) watching me pee half the time I am going to the bathroom because of course they have to tell me something REALLY important right then. 

The only thing that made me nervous was writing down EVERYTHING I had taken in the last 3-5 days that isn't real food. Including nutrition bars, drinks, protein powder, supplements, medicine (topically and orally),... The lady made me think hard and I was worried that if I forgot something and my test comes back positive, I would be screwed. Of course that wasn't the case. 

Overall it was an experience I hope to have to repeat often. It wasn't fun or pleasant per se but it is absolutely critical if we want our sport to be as clean as possible!



The boys had a great time with Oma and their cousins and were still out and about when we got back home. Huge thanks to my parents!


And also Thank You to my fantastic sponsors:


Coeur Sports - The BEST in women's athletic wear

 T3 Triathlon - My FAVORITE triathlon shop

Fuji Bikes - In LOVE with my Norcom Straight

Zoot Shoes - My shoes of choice since 2008

Cobb Saddles - Most COMFORTABLE saddle ever

Osmo Nutrition - Hydration at its BEST

Tifosi Sunglasses - I wear them every single day! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Freedom Run

I decided to celebrate my freedom by running the Freedom Run 10k . Not exactly my favorite kind of race but definitely one to make me feel alive and happy . For this girl endorphins = happiness . I know. I know. It's not everlasting happiness. But I will take it. The more happiness, the better . Right? My motto for this race: "A lot of people race to see who is fastest . ` I race to see who has the most guts ." -Steve Prefontaine It's time for me to show some guts in racing and training. Time to get out of the grey zone and push myself hard. Time to really hurt and put it all on the line. I wanted to run sub 40 minutes. That is a 6:25 pace. That is fast for me. The plan was to start out fast and try to hold it. If I was going to die at the end, so be it. Fortunately, I had some great company for the Sufferfest . It went something like this: I convinced Jen . Jen convinced Carlee . Carlee convinced Heather . Here we are ready to race We also have matchi