Skip to main content

February - Valley of the Sun Training Camp


View from my bike: I have come to truly love the desert! 

In February it was time for The Great Escape down south where the skies are blue, the sun is warm, and the pools are outside! But why Phoenix? Good question, considering I refused to set foot in (and anywhere near that city) for over a year when we first moved to Flagstaff! It seemed ugly, huge, boring, and terrible for training. St. George (3.5 hours south) wasn't going to cut it. I tried that in January and it didn't go so well. I love that place but winter is a bit too iffy for my taste. 


5 layers on top. Not my idea of fun. However, this Coeur jacket rocks! 

Las Vegas (6 hours south) is always a good option but I need some more friends and training buddies there that will show me the best secret spots before coming for camp. Anyone? Phoenix (9 hours south) was the winner because (in that order): 

FRIENDS
WEATHER*
OUTDOOR POOLS
SOUTH MOUNTAIN (riding and trail running)
SCOTTSDALE, FOUNTAIN HILLS, BARTLETT LAKE (riding)

*I left Provo early in 7F and arrived that night in 70F. Happy dance! 

I would say it was definitely worth the long boring drive! Not sure why I like the desert so much, considering that I grew up in the rainy foothills of the Black Forest in Germany, but I do! I love its warm mornings/evenings, its views, its sunrises/sunsets, its dry heat, and its lack of water reservoirs and pretty golf courses! Much to the chagrin of the environmentalist husband, I get a total kick out of the fake lakes and lush green grass which is totally not a natural part of the Sonoran desert! But who cares? Not like I was going to do a training camp in Death Valley... 


My happy place

Monday 

Highlight - Pit stop for a little swim/run/nap at the Henderson pool. My favorite place in Vegas! I am so sad that Silverman 70.3 is no more. That race was right up my alley. 

Bummer - Sitting in the car for so long. D'uh! Good times though talking to friends and family in Germany during the few hours where there is actually some cell reception.

My dream backyard! Wish I had had more time to relax out here... 

Tuesday

Highlight - Staying in Paradise Valley with the generous and oh-so-much-fun McClurgs for the first few days and, wow, were they the best hosts! And I am not even talking about their amazing house, gorgeous backyard, or outside lap pool. I am talking about THEM. Unfortunately, we didn't see each other much but when I did get to hang out with them for an hour here and there, they made me laugh so hard and feel so good - despite (or maybe because of) the endless teasing - that I could've sat at that kitchen counter all night. Huge thanks to E&C! 

Bummer - There are just not enough hours in the day. But are there ever? First really long ride outside this year and I nailed it did not nail it. But I had so much fun that I don't even care! And once again a good reminder that my legs can feel like poop on the bike and then still have a good run in them!

Duct tape to the rescue!

Wednesday 

Bummer - Where to even start? Some long solo training days go almost flawlessly, others don't. Yesterday was the former, today was the latter. Here is the short version: Made myself a shake after a long morning run. Used an apparently brand new knife to cut the apple. Chopped a significant piece of my finger tip off. Not good. Lots of blood. No one around. I managed with the first aid kit in our car. Decided I need to drink my shake anyway and what do I find in the last mouthful? My chewy piece of finger tip! Gross. Headed to pharmacy for more bandages. Blood kept soaking through so right before I hopped on the bike I put enough duct tape around my finger to not see the blood. It was ugly but luckily much less painful than I had feared. The ride went better than expected until my rear bottle cage holder broke. Snapped into two pieces just like that! Barely avoided crashing. Tried to tape it back on but no luck. Eventually decided to stash it in some bushes and get it later. I was pissed. But what can you do?

Highlight - I am proud of my problem solving skills today! Knowing that when sh*t goes wrong and I am all alone, I will be ok. I will find a way, I will figure out a solution. I will adjust and do my best with what I have. Ran in the dark, swam in the dark, and still managed to enjoy a lot of today!

I love, love, love this girl! 

Thursday 

Highlight - The one and only Karen H came down from Flagstaff to join me! Oh happy day! I rode 4 hours solo and then we rode another 4 together. And ran. And swam. It was awesome. Riding with K is the best mix of nonstop-chatter-at-the-top-of-our-lungs and head-down-working-together-busting-our-ass riding. I am so lucky to have her! There may have been a few long minutes where we weren't sure we would make it back out of from Bartlett Lake alive but then we snuck into a golf course and talked some nice guy into giving us free ice water and all was right in the world again... Your company means the world to me, Karen! 

Bummer - Having to say good-bye. Yes, I could have skipped that swim and made time for a proper dinner (as a friend kindly pointed out) but it's not how this friendship works. We prefer lots of time to play and a little picnic in the parking lot plus stuffing our faces with random food in the shower. It's how we roll together. Thanks for putting up with me, K! Those crackers you left in my locker saved me.

Sun, sun, and more sun. Filling up the empty tank. 

Friday 

Bummer - I had nothing on my long run. Here is what I wrote to Coach: Oh wow. Yikes! This did NOT go according to plan and the reason is my legs! They are so tired. I simply couldn't get them to move any faster. I should've worn my HR monitor but it was hot and I wanted to wear as little as possible. But now looking back I would like to see HR... Duh. Here is the thing. It might look like: Oh, she just took it easy and ran all of those 16 miles at the same slow pace of 8:00/mi but that is NOT the case. I tried so hard. I never gave up on those legs. Mind and heart were in the right place and I tried all of the tricks but the legs just would NOT GO! Nothing. And it's not even like I settled in. I kept trying and just had nothing. Overall it wasn't a failure because I didn't give up. I know I am still in a good emotional state because I haven't even been close to tears. And I am almost surprised by that. You know how when you are so tired emotionally that even dropping your fork makes you wanna ball your eyes out? I have been there many times but right now I am doing just fine. So that's good. I put in the time and the mileage and I tried to do what you asked, and this is what I got. I'll have to take it! ;) So not a complete bummer. Just not quite what I had been hoping for. 

Highlight - Being back in Ahwatukee! I love that place. Nothing like an easy spin on wide, smooth, quiet roads, yummy Trader Joe's food, and a swim at the Foothills YMCA. What more can a girl want? A fellow German triathlete to stay with. Check! Good times indeed.

One Russian roadie + one German triathlete = a pretty nice view

Saturday 

Highlight - South Mountain! It's nothing crazy or epic. Just a solid climb and fun descent on a safe road with a nice view and water at the bottom. It's all I need for a day of fun! And the best part: My two favorite engineers on two wheels joined me! It's always a good time with those guys. That is, until they decide to head back home way before I am done playing! In which case: Paul to the rescue! He is one of my favorite guys to ride with and I could listen to his stories all day. Seeing how we hadn't seen each other for a while, there were quite a few to tell! It was a happy day. 

Bummer - Some day I want to see how many times I can ride South Mountain in one day. Start when the sun comes up and keep going until I can't anymore. Today, unfortunately, was not that day but I will be back! Let me know if you wanna join me!

The Champ. I miss that guy. 

Sunday 

Highlight - New route and new friend! Thank you, Russ B, for showing me the way around the other side of South Mountain and then climbing it with me! You can never have too many friends in the triathlon world. The more training buddies in various places, the better!

Bummer - After a beautiful late-afternoon swim, I went straight to Trader Joe's to buy some (more) good food because: Feed the machine. Upon getting back to the house, I realized that P had already left. And locked the door. And I didn't have a key. I was tired and starving and locked out. So I had a good laugh (still no tears so far), sat down on the front step, ate some a lot of my goodies, talked to the husband and kids until my phone died, and came up with a plan. I would grab the blanket (which was supposed to be a present for M but I figured he would understand) and camping pillow from the car, climb the fence, and take a nap in the backyard until P got back home a few hours later. And that's what I did. It wasn't half bad.

President's Day

Bummer - Long easy days on the bike with a good friend are probably my favorite. As long as your idea of easy matches your friend's idea of easy and there's plenty of stories to tell and things to discuss. Turns out, this wasn't really the case today. It made me sad but, hey, even a less-than-ideal day on my bike is still better than 92% of all other things and certainly nothing to complain about! (I'm just trying to keep things real. It wasn't ALL smiles and warm fuzzy feelings.)

Highlight - I finally had a chance to explore the South Mountain trails! Nothing like a long sunset run on beautiful single-track where your heart wants to burst with joy!!! And then having to hustle on the way back to beat the darkness and whatever dangerous animals live out there waiting to get me... 

Tuesday 

Highlight - I got to run with a dear old friend that I ran cross-country and track with in high school and meet his family! Thank you, Justin, for putting up with my crazy I-am-here-for-training-camp-so-if-you-wanna-hang-out-you-will-need-to-run-with-me self. During my exchange year I was known as "The Crazy German" so I am sure he wasn't too surprised. 

Highlight II - No bummers today. Because it's always a great day when Malcolm comes to train! We had only met up briefly over the weekend but made up for it with a fun trail run, a lets-make-it-10k-for-today swim, and a yummy dinner. He was just what I needed. A friend that knows and understands what I am like during camp and can see the fun in it. Someone that I can be myself around without feeling judged. I am so glad we met that day when I yelled at you on the bike to bust those drafters up ahead and then we ended up on the massage table next to each other and next thing you know we went to St. George for a few days of training together. I so appreciate your friendship!

Lots of swimming in the dark. Not ideal for my tan but I like a good recovery flop. 

Wednesday 

Highlight - South Mountain and SBJ meet again! And this time, on my last day here, I owned it. I went up 4 times and each time I shaved 2 minutes off the previous time. I was on a mission. It was hard and I wasn't sure if I would make it but I nailed it. It was one of those (rare) days where I felt invincible on my bike. Just me and some good old German techno music. Whatever it takes... 

Bummer - Getting in an argument with a friend. Really missing my husband and kids. But tomorrow night we will be reunited! 


The End

And then it was time to say good-bye. After a long winter in Northern Utah, training here in the warm sun all day every day made me so ridiculously happy. So grateful for a supportive family, a healthy body, a great coach, fantastic friends, and gracious hosts. It couldn't have happened without you! Thank you! 

And yet, I can't finish this post without telling you that, despite all of the awesomeness and happiness I experienced this week, I was really struggling on a more personal level. I saw a dear friendship crumble right before my eyes while feeling unable - in the moment - to do something about it. And then it was too late. And it broke my heart. 

In some ways, I am certainly not the best version of myself while I do these training camps. I always assume that people know me well enough to understand but I don't think this is always the case. It takes a lot of effort and sacrifices on my family's part to make this happen. But because it is something that I crave and need and that ultimately makes me a better wife and mom, we can pull it off. However, with this comes a strong feeling of urgency and this need to make every minute count while away. To a fault. I am afraid that I somehow cheat my family if I am too social or have too much fun outside of training. It doesn't fully make sense, not even to me as I am typing this, and I realize now more than ever that it can come across as very selfish. I train hours and hours every day at camp and when I am not training, I eat, sleep, and get ready for the next session. It's beautifully simple but far from easy. It basically takes all of the physical, mental, and emotional strength that I have. And because it is so different from my life at home where I am constantly trying to make my husband, kids, and in-laws (who we currently live with) happy, I truly enjoy it. But it doesn't leave a lot of energy or time for personal relationships during camp days and I regret that. I believe I have offended a few people because of this over the last two decades of racing and for that I am sorry. Truly sorry. 

Here is to living and learning and trying again! 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf

When the wheels come off...

(some of) NAU Masters I know I have been racing pretty well lately. I also know that I have plenty of workouts where I don't even come close to nailing it. Some days I feel like crap the minute I leave the house and would rather go back home than keep running or biking. Monday was one of those days... I took the week after Boise pretty easy . Lots of fun workouts, very little structure. I absolutely love having a coach and a plan but I am also a big fan of just going out and doing whatever I feel like. The next week was still pretty low-key . Partly because Karl was out of town, partly because I was still enjoying a nice little mid-season break. Then I had a couple of good training days and was ready to get back at it. Or so I thought. Monday actually started out better than anticipated. I was excited to be back with the NAU Masters and we even had 2 famous visitors: Leanda Cave , triathlon world champion. Thorsten Abel , Leanda's husband and successful German pro triat