Skip to main content

ULTOT 2012 - Utah Lake to the Top of Timp



Ever since the ULTOT 2010* I couldn't wait for a repeat! We had to miss it last year, so imagine my excitement when I found out that we were going to be in town for this year's swim-bike-run-hike extravaganza to the top of Mount Timpanogos at 11,749 ft (3582m) - and back down. 
I was thrilled! 

Good morning, Utah!

To make things even better: Karl was able to join me! Now that's my kind of date
He opted out of the swim since he already performed his annual swim - a river crossing - during a run  earlier this summer. I can't blame him for not wanting to jump into Utah Lake because  - let's be honest - it is just plain gross! 

I was able to enjoy another solo open-water swim since I directed Karl to the wrong boat ramp at 5:45 in the morning. By the time we got to the right spot, the others had already taken off. Having left my wetsuit at home in Flagstaff, I slipped on my speedsuit and dove into... the filthy swamp. But who cares about water quality anyway when I can look over and see the sun rise behind my favorite mountains with every breath I take? Including Mt. Timpanogos which we are going to stand atop of in just a few hours! Loved it! 

taking a little detour

Biking up American Fork Canyon was as beautiful and fun as it's always been. Especially with the road closed to traffic due to a running race. I certainly miss biking in Utah! Karl and I were behind everyone else because we decided to take the scenic route to the canyon* but caught up with the group at the start of the run. 

*This was a date after all! 

at the start of the run/hike

Then we promptly got behind again because were having a few issues, besides performing the world's slowest bike-run transition. We accidentally left the hand-helds at home and on top of that Karl's hydration pack was leaking. Big time. Gushing out basically. Lovely! 

We may or may not have had some marital issues as well when, after we were just starting to make up some ground on our friends, KJ announced that he was having problems with his Achilles and needed to walk. What? Walk? Already? I think we need to end this date now! But we both recovered. The Achilles calmed down after a bit and so did I. 
a baby moose and amazing scenery

It was a super fun run/hike. 2 years ago I was pushing the pace the entire day but not this year. I would be lying if I claimed that taking it easy was more enjoyable or more fun. It was a different experience and just what I needed this time around. I had absolutely no mental or physical rough parts which is certainly a plus! 


The wildflowers were in full bloom and we couldn't get over how absolutely stunning the scenery was! The beauty of nature was definitely the highlight of the day!  


The weather was perfect. Cool morning, some clouds, even a few sprinkles of rain, warm enough at the top, and a little breeze on the downhill! Couldn't have asked for better conditions! 


My gazelle runs into some mountain goats. I think they would make pretty good friends! 


My date and I. 


My least favorite part of the hike. Too many loose rocks...


... so I decided to take lots of self-portraits to keep me distracted! 


At the top! Utah Lake behind us and...


... this in front of us! I want to go back right now! 


Some of the ULTOT crew at the top. We are spelling ULTOT in case you can't tell!

I ran most of the way down with Melissa (middle) while Keena (left) and Karl were smoking everybody with their insane downhill running skills! It was great to catch up with her and we reached the campsite in no-time! 

After a nice ice bath in the stream, some goodies, lots of chatting, and a flat tire on my bike, we flew down the canyon and made our way back to the car. What a fun adventure! I really hope to be able to be part of this again next year! You should come join us!



* ULTOT 2010 blog post here

Comments

Tolle Bilder Sarah! WOW
Leslie said…
Fun! So glad you and Karl did it together. We've done a few adventure dates lately and it's great. Maybe not the pace all parties would want, but a good time. Great pics!

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec