Skip to main content

Feat of Fortitude - Bring It On!


BB/BS Trail Half Marathon 2011

Remember how I ran a half marathon one day and then competed in a half-iron distance triathlon the next day last year? If not, you can read about it here and here. They called it the Feat of Fortitude and gave complimentary entries to girl/guy with the lowest combined times. I was fortunate to be that lucky girl, and so here I go again this weekend!

Because, really, how could I pass up such a fantastic opportunity???

Never mind that I have been on the brink of losing it for the last few days. Not as bad as last time, but almost! Basically ever since we left my in-laws' home in Utah. I know: Some people don't get along with their in-laws but I happen to love mine and it's always hard to leave family, friends, and training buddies after a wonderful vacation. Throw in a (rainy) camping trip in Bryce Canyon on the way home, and not only the house is big mess but, apparently, so am I.

Late this morning I just wanted to lie down on the floor and scream really loud! Maybe even break a few glasses or bowls or something! But that would've resembled the behavior of my 3-year-old a little too much, so I decided to just march on and make the best of it. And eventually I realized that I am incredible blessed and things could be much worse.

Thanks to Flagstaff Bicycle Revolution for finally figuring out what's wrong with my bike and fixing it for free! Thanks to Ali for inviting Noah into her home so I could go to Max's preschool orientation without a big bossy brother. And thanks to Karl for being patient and supportive as always.

MountainMan 2011

I don't feel ready to race. I have been at low altitude for 8 out of the last 10 weeks and there is no taper on the plan for this weekend. That doesn't seem like a good combination considering that I will be racing at 7,000 ft! No big deal because there is no pressure. Right? Well, that is what I thought until I found out that I will be wearing #1 for the triathlon. Really? They gave me bib #1? Yikes. Now I am screwed. That's kind of like wearing a big fat target on your back. I just hope I can live up to the expectations! 

This is what Coach M had to say: All I want is a good half marathon on Sunday after the swim and bike. I need you to feel good and have fun! Haha. Thanks, Coach! Easier said than done! Especially considering that I have felt good on a total of 4 runs since the  middle of March! But I will give it my best and, no matter the outcome, I know it's going to be a blast. I love racing!

Wish me luck! I will need it! 

Happy Racing!














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju...

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm...

Oceanside 70.3 Race Report

(Grab a chair and get comfy, cause this might be kinda long.)  Left Thursday morning with my questionable travel companion , Nate, who turned out to be awesome. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with a nice guy who is a Coach, about to turn Pro, happens to have worked as a bike mechanic, and likes things low-key before a race? Score !  I was super excited to see my friend, Carlee , as soon as we got to the hotel. She provided plenty of entertainment! Both nights I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had to force myself not to look at her or I would bust up laughing (again) for no apparent reason. She is that cool and funny !  I was super duper excited to see the ocean ! I had not been in a few years and it was my first visit to Oceanside. I had been envisioning myself in a beautiful beach town bathing in warmth and sunshine all winter long. This was going to be the reward for many treadmill runs, trainer rides, and bricks in freezing temperat...