Skip to main content

Nutrition for a Half


Citylauf 10k in Germany (June)

I am basically writing this post for myself. Because, without fail, every time I have a race coming up I start to wonder: What did I eat/drink during my last race? How many calories should I take per hour? What about salt? What works and what doesn't? You'd think I would know these things but somehow I still forget. By now I am too embarrassed to call Coach M yet again and ask her. So after my nutrition at the Mountain Man Half worked out rather well, I decided to record it right here. Now I know where to look next time I'm clueless about what to pack in my race picnic basket.

Here is what I consumed on Sunday before and during the Mountain Man Half:

Simple. Nutritious. Yummy. 

Breakfast (about 2-2.5 hours before the race):

1/2 cup quick oats
1 cup water
1/2 scoop protein powder
1/4 c apple sauce
cinnamon

(This is what I eat every morning. Usually I add nuts, raisins, and canned pumpkin but I figure the simpler the better before a race.)

2 MetaSalt tablets
water

My favorite!

Pre-Race:

(Aehm. I seem to already have forgotten this part. So here is what I think I did/should do.)

water with electrolytes
1 GU gel (about 20 minutes before the start)

 candy anyone?

On the bike: (about 700 cal)

2 bottles of GU Brew (200cal)
1 package of Clif shot blocks (200 cal)
3 GU gels (300 kca)
2 extra water bottles at aid stations

( I think it wouldn't hurt to eat another 100 cal at some point on the bike...)

Very close runner-up!

On the run:

2 GU gels (200 cal)
water at every aid station

(I could've definitely made use of another gel on the run. Good thing they will be handing these out at WTC races because I only have so many pockets in my jersey... Oh, and I just remembered the Coke! Yes. I was missing the Coke after mile 7 big time! Forget the 3rd gel and give me some Coke!)


That's it. As I have mentioned here, I have discovered that I need to be somewhat excited about the items in my picnic basket or fueling right is just not going to happen. So for now this is what's on the menu for a half-iron distance event.



PS: I am not sponsored by any of these companies. This is just what I like and what works for me.

PPS: I just checked out the Athlete Guide to the race in Vegas and jumped for joy when I read what all I could possibly indulge in during the run:

performance drink
water
cola
bink breaker bars
GU gels
Roctane gels
GU chomps
pretzels
fruit

It's really too bad I will most likely only go with the water, coke and maybe a gel or two. I am seriously considering going out there after I finished the race and partaking of all the goodies. Although by then I will most likely already be in a sugar-induced coma and none of this will even sound good!




Comments

Sarah, thx for sharing what worked for you. I love this post.
Colleen Rue said…
I may have to copy your idea and do a blog on this as well. It is SO easy to forget and SO MANY people always ask me about it. We are just kindred spirits with our love of the Gu Chocolate Mint and Chocolate Raspberry. Have you tried the Roctane Cherry Lime.....I like it too :)

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju...

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm...

Oceanside 70.3 Race Report

(Grab a chair and get comfy, cause this might be kinda long.)  Left Thursday morning with my questionable travel companion , Nate, who turned out to be awesome. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with a nice guy who is a Coach, about to turn Pro, happens to have worked as a bike mechanic, and likes things low-key before a race? Score !  I was super excited to see my friend, Carlee , as soon as we got to the hotel. She provided plenty of entertainment! Both nights I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had to force myself not to look at her or I would bust up laughing (again) for no apparent reason. She is that cool and funny !  I was super duper excited to see the ocean ! I had not been in a few years and it was my first visit to Oceanside. I had been envisioning myself in a beautiful beach town bathing in warmth and sunshine all winter long. This was going to be the reward for many treadmill runs, trainer rides, and bricks in freezing temperat...