Skip to main content

Recovery Mama-Style


Hot tub in our apartment complex. Top two pictures courtesy of Max. 

Everyday morning life looks something like this: 

training
breakfast, get kids ready for school
Karl or I bike kids to school
training
rush to pick Max up from pre-school between 12-1

It's our morning routine and I love it. Most days. Usually I have just enough time to take a deep breath and realize how blessed I am and how much fun this journey is. One of my favorite moments is biking home from preschool with my 4-year-old. He is getting so good on his bike! He's been riding it for almost 2 years now but finally he is getting to the point where I can trust him a little more on our commute. Except when we are standing at a light and suddenly, for no apparent reason, he falls over and almost off the sidewalk. Yikes! So I still have approximately 2.5 mini heart attacks every day. But I try to keep my mouth shut and let him do his thing. Unless he goes full speed toward a red traffic light and then brakes hard at the last second. Which he really likes to do. Not cool.  

It's still my favorite. Why? Because riding bikes is the best thing in the world! Doesn't matter what bike, what distance, or what terrain. And I love to see my boys have fun on the bike. I want biking to make them happy. Just like it makes me happy. Max is getting stronger every week and we both get super excited when he makes it up the hill just a few more feet than he did the week before. I can tell that he is amazed and realizes that he can do things which he previously thought were impossible. Awesomeness! 


About 63% of the time I end up picking up Max while still in my workout clothes. Sometimes I end my ride at school and then we bike home together. Which means I get to walk through the entire elementary school in my cycling kit and shoes. Anything to save same time and school fees! Preschool happens to be in the very back. Poor kid! He has no idea though. He thinks this is totally normal. I just try to avoid running into my 1st grader or any of his friends. A mom in spandex is certainly not very cool! The other day one of Max's little friends asked: Why are you wearing just underwear? Haha. I was laughing so hard. Gotta love kids! Oh, and when I put on some jeans a few weeks ago, Noah exclaimed in all seriousness: Mom! You have jeans!?! Aehm. Yes. I do. 

My ideal (and very time intensive) recovery routine after a hard workout goes something like this: 

recovery shake
ice bath
hot tub
hot/cold shower
elevating legs
FOOD!
nap

Clearly, this doesn't happen very often. The nap part hardly ever happens! But I try to do at least some of the above every day. I know people have different opinions on ice baths, hot tubs, etc. I just do what works for me. And usually I have a little buddy who wants to join the fun! So we share the recovery drink, read books while I am in the ice bath, and play together in the hot tub. (Don't worry. The water isn't super hot and he is only in it half the time. The rest of the time he is running laps around it, jumping in, or doing tricks.) Early afternoon is also the (only) time during the day when Max gets to watch a little movie which gives me enough time to make food and take a shower. 

He is a cutie! 

Ideally, by the time Noah gets home from school, everybody is recovered, recharged, and ready for a great late afternoon and evening! Key word is: Ideally. Life is a work in progress and our family certainly doesn't have it all figured out but we are trying to do our best. 


Did Noah say that there are only 6 more days of school??? 
Yikes! There go all my beloved routines... 
I mean: I can't wait for summer! 






Comments

Karen said…
I don't know how you can stand it. That little Max is beyond adorable. Great pics!!!

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Freedom Run

I decided to celebrate my freedom by running the Freedom Run 10k . Not exactly my favorite kind of race but definitely one to make me feel alive and happy . For this girl endorphins = happiness . I know. I know. It's not everlasting happiness. But I will take it. The more happiness, the better . Right? My motto for this race: "A lot of people race to see who is fastest . ` I race to see who has the most guts ." -Steve Prefontaine It's time for me to show some guts in racing and training. Time to get out of the grey zone and push myself hard. Time to really hurt and put it all on the line. I wanted to run sub 40 minutes. That is a 6:25 pace. That is fast for me. The plan was to start out fast and try to hold it. If I was going to die at the end, so be it. Fortunately, I had some great company for the Sufferfest . It went something like this: I convinced Jen . Jen convinced Carlee . Carlee convinced Heather . Here we are ready to race We also have matchi