Skip to main content

BAM Race Festival - Karl's Duathlon


The stunningly beautiful run course and finish chute

I am a lame race reporter, I have to admit. It has been 5 weeks since BAM and I am finally making myself write a little report. I could come up with lots of excuses, but I won't. So here is what I remember:

As usual, my short-term camping-with-kids-before-a-race memory was not functioning very well and I thought it would be a great idea to squeeze as much fun for the whole family as possible into less than 24 hours. This included a duathlon for Karl, a triathlon for me, lots of running around in the dirt and grass for the kids, and camping for all of us! Oh, and lunch with dear friends.

I can already tell that I am remembering way more than is good for me to write down or for you to read, so I am going to try to keep it (somewhat) short and simple.

Have I already mentioned how much I hate getting ready for a camping trip (even if it is just one night or maybe especially if it is just one night) AND a race at the same time WHILE my kids are around? It wears me out, to say the least.

The Battle at Midway isn't just a one race event. It is a whole race festival featuring an off-road duathlon, a triathlon, and a trail run. And then there is the "Bad Ass" category for those crazies who want to compete in all 3 events. Actually, that would be me! How much fun would that be??? Seriously! I am hoping with a little more time and money in the future, I can become a "Bad Ass" as well.

Since Karl is basically made for an off-road duathlon, he decided to compete in his first multisport event of the season. He used to race triathlons frequently but then realized that he really just hates swimming and went back to being a runner - an ultra runner mostly.



Off they went. I figured Karl would be the first one coming into T1 and I was right. They don't call him Gazelle for nothing...

Unfortunately, we were having some camera issues after at this point. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to keep Noah entertained by letting him take pictures of pretty random things.

Like this dog. He loves dogs. I love this cute little trailer. I also love Marilyn and Tess who own it. Two awesome ladies I have been racing with over the years and would have loved to talk to more.


And his new helmet. Noah has always loved to wear his helmet. Every time we run errands on our bikes, he reminds me: "Mama, you are not smart. You are not wearing a helmet." It is true. I usually don't wear a helmet riding around town. Definitely not smart.


And me. I guess he loves me, too.


And the free stuff. Gotta love free stuff.


And Sue checking out Keena's buff arms. Unfortunately, Sue was not able to race due to an injury. Keena, my hero, dominated the sprint distance, as usual.


No worries. I am sparing you the details. He took about 10 pictures of everything I just listed, plus lots more. And about 20 of peanut-size Karl running around the venue in first place.


Right as I grab the camera to take a decent finisher's photo, the battery goes dead. Go figure! So here is what I found online:


Karl won!
He is our man!

Notice Max and Noah in the background!


I guess my race report will have to wait until tomorrow. I am going to bed now. Night!

Comments

Jamie Pearson said…
I see you too in that last picture! Great Job Karl you are amazing! I don't think I will ever have the desire to run as much as you. =)
Unknown said…
You are totally a bad ass. No doubt about it.

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju...

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm...

Oceanside 70.3 Race Report

(Grab a chair and get comfy, cause this might be kinda long.)  Left Thursday morning with my questionable travel companion , Nate, who turned out to be awesome. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with a nice guy who is a Coach, about to turn Pro, happens to have worked as a bike mechanic, and likes things low-key before a race? Score !  I was super excited to see my friend, Carlee , as soon as we got to the hotel. She provided plenty of entertainment! Both nights I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had to force myself not to look at her or I would bust up laughing (again) for no apparent reason. She is that cool and funny !  I was super duper excited to see the ocean ! I had not been in a few years and it was my first visit to Oceanside. I had been envisioning myself in a beautiful beach town bathing in warmth and sunshine all winter long. This was going to be the reward for many treadmill runs, trainer rides, and bricks in freezing temperat...