Skip to main content

Run Flagstaff



Xterra '09

After a week of being forced to take things easy (when it comes to training) because of our move to Flagstaff, AZ, I started to slowly but surely go crazy! I was having a hard time getting up early after staying up late unpacking things and making this apartment look more like home. No races coming up, no serious training plan, and no workout buddies does not exactly help me drag my butt out of bed at 5 am either. To top it of, Max has consistently been waking up super early ever since we got here. Because he and Noah share a room now, they are both dancing around the house by 6 am. Awesome! Just what I need!

So, after 5 days, I decided it was time to take matters into my own hands. I called the local running store, Run Flagstaff, to see if they have some kind of running group/team workout. They do! Every Tuesday they meet at the High School track for speed work. Sweet! It was Tuesday and so I jumped on my bike (actually, Karl's mountain bike) and rode 2 miles on beautiful trails to the track.


I had no idea what to expect. I was slightly worried that I might not be able to keep up with any of them, but that worry could not hold me back. So I showed up, introduced myself to the coach, picked out two beautiful and fit ladies, and started to warm up behind them. I soon realized that they were not just going to turn around and start talking to me. After a little pep-talk to myself, I ran up next to them and pretty much forced them to talk to me.

Turns out that one of them, Robin, is an amazing triathlete. I have not figured out just how good she really is but I would not be surprised if she was the top girl around here. The other girl, Josie, is preparing for her first triathlon and about to buy a road bike. She also happens to be LDS and remembered seeing me in the hall at church. I sure picked the right girls to talk to.

I met a few other great people and really enjoyed the workout. There were at least 40 runners of all levels on the track. (We set a new record the other night with 66!) My plan was to stay low, hang back, and check out everything. Well, that did not happen. My body had other plans! It mistakenly thought that the past few weeks of 'taking things easy' was actually a taper, and the track workout a race. It was probably the most enjoyable speed work I have ever done. I just felt like going fast! I hardly ever feel like going fast. Especially not at 7,000 feet. So I just went with it.

I have been back every week since then. We tried to all go a couple of times, so Karl could meet some other runners and get in some speed work as well. The boys did really well, actually, and lasted the entire time. But, unfortunately, it is not free and pretty cold and dark by now. So we (or I) decided that Karl and the boys would stay home while I get to have some fun. Karl, after all, gets to be social and talk to adults all day long, while I am hanging out with the kids. My turn to try to get in some decent conversation in between intervals!

So much for running in Flagstaff. Most other days I am confined to a 40-minute jog with Max in the Chariot. Gotta love the off-season!

Happy run training to you!



Comments

Barbie said…
I'm like you, if no-one makes the effort to talk to me - I just introduce myself :) Glad you have found a running group and get to continue with your training.
Leslie said…
That's great though Sarah, glad you found people! And the numbers are huge! That must be wild!

Popular posts from this blog

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju