Skip to main content

Oh, How I Hate the Gym


I hate gyms. I really do. And I always have. My first time in a gym was on October 31st in 2003. Gold's Gym in Provo. I thought that if I just went in, maybe it would not be so bad, and I could convince myself to join. The second I walked in, I realized it was a mistake. No way was I going to stay in that place longer than I absolutely had to. But it was too late. One of the sleek bodybuilding employees had already eyed a potential new customer and I could not escape his claws. I don't remember the details of our conversation because all I could think was: "I wanna get out of here. How am I gonna get out of here? Let me out of here!"

Finally, I made it out. And I did not set foot into another gym for 7 years.

Let me digress here for a minute. As an exchange student in high school, my "sister" Andee and I had sleep overs every single night. I loved everything about our sleep overs except this one poster she had in her room. It was disgusting. To me.


The above picture does not really do it justice but it is the best I could find. Andee's guy (I have to admit) had a cuter face. But he also had his pants lower. Way lower. Oh, and they were unzipped. I think. It does not even matter... You get the idea. We had endless debates over this guy. She loved him. All our other girl friends loved him. I hated him. I am not into guys that are into themselves and into their muscles. It does not even look good. At all. Their body image is screaming: "I spend all my free time in a little cubicle looking at myself in the mirror."

I ended up marrying a skinny endurance runner who I can almost beat in arm wrestling. I like it that way. End of digression.

Actually,

End of post as well. The title was going to be "Oh, how I hate/love the gym" but I changed it. Because I can do that. It is my blog and I can do whatever I want with it. I love freedom!

So, my next post will just be titled "Oh, how I love the gym". Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe I will just write about a totally different topic. Who knows?


Comments

Nate + Carlee said…
No, Sarah you LOVE the gym. You LOVE it. Deep down inside I know you do. I saw how much you LOVED spin. What could be better than riding a fake bike (that's nothing like a real bike) in a small dark room with no ventilation? Just be grateful you didn't get the guy that makes you get off your bike and do squats. Really. However, it IS nice for those of us that are too wimpy to bike outside when it gets cold. This post totally cracked me up though because I had the same experience when I went into that 9th East gym the first time too, and "thunder" as I affectionately called him told me that "hummus beans" were very nutritious. Hmmmm. Also, I have to agree that I find the skinny endurance runners more attractive as well. Bulging muscles gross me out. Wow that was LONG! Sorry. I should have just called you back like a good friend would...miss you!
kar jar said…
Yep, a fellow grad student asked if my wife would be able to beat me up if we got in a fist fight, so the closest we could get to that was an arm wrestle. For the record, "almost beat" still implies losing. I had more at stake, so I had more adrenaline flowing (whew!). In any case, I went and admired my muscles in front of the mirror for a couple hours afterwards. :)

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec