Skip to main content

2011 Season


For those of you wondering whether I will be pregnant or racing in 2011...
Well, it looks like I will be racing.

The Original Plan for this year was to be pregnant and have a baby. I whole-heartedly embraced the plan. 4 kids. Each 3 years apart. Pregnant. Newborn. 2 racing seasons. Pregnant again. I like plans.

But sometimes we need to be flexible. ( I hate that word. I am the least flexible person I know. Sometimes I catch myself telling other people: "It does not really matter. We are flexible." Only to realize that I was pretty much lying. I am hardly ever flexible. Now you know.)

So after realizing what it is really like to be living in Flagstaff, away from family and friends, with Karl back in school, and no money, we decided we needed to wait a little longer. Having 2 more kids while in graduate school did not seem like such a good idea anymore.

So I came up with a New Plan. And, of course, the new plan involves quite a bit of racing. I told Karl right away: "If I am not having a baby next year, I am going to race. Mostly longer races." He is fine with that. And so am I.

I am also super excited to have received the following Email a few weeks ago:

Sarah,
Thank you for applying for the PowerTri Elite Team! We have had so much amazing talent to sort through to decide on our 2011 team of 15 and we are pleased to tell you that you have been selected. Congratulations!

This is very good news and I am really looking forward to being a part of Team PowerTri again this season. Thank you!

The first race of 2011 is coming up quickly. I will be running the Halfmarathon in St. George in one week! I am stoked to be spending a fun weekend swimming, running, and biking with my coaches, training partners, and most awesomest friend, Jen, in one of my favorite places!

Now it is time to go to bed and recover from a good week of training! Hope yours was good as well!


Comments

Leslie said…
I'm happy for you Sarah. While it would've been fun to have babies together (what am I saying? Who the heck knows what my future holds anymore :) ), I'm exited for you to get to race!
kar jar said…
Go wifey go! Glad to sponsor your triathlon season with my lucrative graduate student budget!

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju...

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm...

Oceanside 70.3 Race Report

(Grab a chair and get comfy, cause this might be kinda long.)  Left Thursday morning with my questionable travel companion , Nate, who turned out to be awesome. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with a nice guy who is a Coach, about to turn Pro, happens to have worked as a bike mechanic, and likes things low-key before a race? Score !  I was super excited to see my friend, Carlee , as soon as we got to the hotel. She provided plenty of entertainment! Both nights I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had to force myself not to look at her or I would bust up laughing (again) for no apparent reason. She is that cool and funny !  I was super duper excited to see the ocean ! I had not been in a few years and it was my first visit to Oceanside. I had been envisioning myself in a beautiful beach town bathing in warmth and sunshine all winter long. This was going to be the reward for many treadmill runs, trainer rides, and bricks in freezing temperat...