Skip to main content

My New Foam Friend



These are the treasures I got for Christmas. I did get a couple more things but they are not really blog-worthy. We also had a very small Christmas budget, seeing how we are poor students.

Karl knows me well.

New socks. One pair of training socks just did not cut it anymore.

Hell on Wheels. DVD. Awesome documentary of the Tour de France. Featuring two of my favorite German riders. It was about time to move on from the triathlon documentary What it takes. I think we both have that one memorized.

Nutrition book by Monique Ryan. I am still at the very beginning. I decided to first read one that Coach M lent me called Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition Guidebook. I was not too impressed with that one, so I hope this one will be more what I am looking for.

Garmin 305. This is not actually a present but I am super stoked to be able to use it for a while. My coaches, Heath and Mahogani, decided it was about time to keep better track of me. Since we cannot afford to buy a Garmin at this point, they went out of their way to let me use theirs. They will now share their newer one. I was not necessarily sitting around wishing I had a Garmin, but I am excited to use it and thus improve my training.

Last but definitely not least: my new friend - the foam roller. This is really a gift that I gave to Karl because I really wanted to have one. Silly, I know. But he has come to like it more than he thought he would. As for me, I love it. I am surprised how much better it is than a stick. It works so well, it brings tears to my eyes. Literally. Since massage therapists seem to be out of our price range in this town, I am hoping I can keep myself from falling apart with the foam roller.

So there you have it. My new toys. Nothing fancy but I am a happy girl!

Happy training!

PS: I am working on my race report. Should be coming soon. In the meantime, I am going to do some yoga.




Comments

jaredandgina said…
Hey now there is one thing I can relate to. The foam roller have used those a bunch in pilates classes. They hurt but are so awesome at the same time!

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju...

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm...

Oceanside 70.3 Race Report

(Grab a chair and get comfy, cause this might be kinda long.)  Left Thursday morning with my questionable travel companion , Nate, who turned out to be awesome. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with a nice guy who is a Coach, about to turn Pro, happens to have worked as a bike mechanic, and likes things low-key before a race? Score !  I was super excited to see my friend, Carlee , as soon as we got to the hotel. She provided plenty of entertainment! Both nights I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had to force myself not to look at her or I would bust up laughing (again) for no apparent reason. She is that cool and funny !  I was super duper excited to see the ocean ! I had not been in a few years and it was my first visit to Oceanside. I had been envisioning myself in a beautiful beach town bathing in warmth and sunshine all winter long. This was going to be the reward for many treadmill runs, trainer rides, and bricks in freezing temperat...