Skip to main content

Fueled by Pumpkin



It is October! My favorite month is filled with fun: my birthday, colorful leaves, clear blue skies, Noah's birthday, perfect temperatures, fantastic bike rides, trail runs, pumpkins, fall festivals, and Halloween!

Not knowing what to make for dinner last night, I decided to make desert instead. Healthy desert, of course. And since it is October, it had to involve pureed pumpkin. I decided on pumpkin cobbler - without the crust. It was taking way too long in the oven, so...

I decided to go swimming. The boys went to Karate.
I took a long hot shower. Saw my friend, Jennifer, at the pool. We talked for like an hour.
By the time I got home, the kids were asleep and I was starving!
So I skipped dinner (not always a fan of leftovers) and had pumpkin cobbler with banana and yogurt. Repeat once. Repeat twice.
Yumminess!

Guess what I had for breakfast this morning? More pumpkin cobbler, banana, and yogurt! Because - why not? Then I hopped on my bike for another shot at trying-to-keep-up-with-the-big-boys. I was really hoping for some girls to ride with as I try to avoid the pain cave during the off-seaon. Well, I was out of luck. 26 fast-looking and decked-out guys was all I got. You've got to love Flagstaff: we had 3 ITU pros among us (one from Ireland, one from Denmark, and one local) and who knows who else...

I got chewed up and spat out the back 3 times. All part of the fun, right? I was lucky to catch back up each time. After the 4th time (at mile 40), I was done. So I cruised back into town by myself and was loving life! Unfortunately, by the time I got home the cobbler was gone and I decided it was time for some veggies and protein...

Here is the pumpkin cobbler recipe. Adapted by me, of course. Let me know if you want the original version...

Filling:
1 large can pumpkin
3 eggs
1/2 c brown sugar (or honey, or agave)
1/4 c milk
2 t vanilla
2 t cinnamon

Topping:
1 c flour
1/4 c softened butter
1/4 c sugar
1 c chopped nuts

1. Mix filling ingredients together and pour into 9*13 inch pan.
2. Mix topping ingredients together and sprinkle on top of filling.
3. Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes.

Enjoy!





Comments

Mhhh das hört sich gut an. WIll ich auch machen! Was ist ein pan pumpkin? Kann ich da auch ein Hokaido Kürbis nehmen? und chopped nuts sind ja zerhackte Nüsse, gell.

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju...

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm...

Oceanside 70.3 Race Report

(Grab a chair and get comfy, cause this might be kinda long.)  Left Thursday morning with my questionable travel companion , Nate, who turned out to be awesome. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with a nice guy who is a Coach, about to turn Pro, happens to have worked as a bike mechanic, and likes things low-key before a race? Score !  I was super excited to see my friend, Carlee , as soon as we got to the hotel. She provided plenty of entertainment! Both nights I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had to force myself not to look at her or I would bust up laughing (again) for no apparent reason. She is that cool and funny !  I was super duper excited to see the ocean ! I had not been in a few years and it was my first visit to Oceanside. I had been envisioning myself in a beautiful beach town bathing in warmth and sunshine all winter long. This was going to be the reward for many treadmill runs, trainer rides, and bricks in freezing temperat...