Skip to main content

Just what I needed...


So far it's been a good weekend! 

Flagstaff trails

Friday morning I turned my fast tempo run into a nice and easy trail run

Why? 

Because my lungs and chest were burning at minimal aerobic effort, so I didn't care to know what they would feel like while I was running my guts out. 

Have I mentioned that I love trail running? 

I can't wait to fall out of love with road triathlon, so I can completely devote myself to the trails! But, unfortunately, I don't see it happening anytime soon... So, in the meantime, I will use beautiful  singe-track trails as therapy for my body and mind. No road run makes me feel as happy and free and whole as almost any trail run does. 10 miles might have taken an eternity on my watch but I was enjoying every minute of it! 

Ryan Stevens and Paul Brinkmann running in Flag

This morning's  swim certainly was nothing spectacular. At least not when it comes to my performance. But it's always a good day when I get to share a lane with the famous Paul Brinkmann and he randomly asks: Wanna kick? Because that means I get some quality time with one of my favorite athletes who will share a little bit of his vast wisdom with me. Today we talked about being parents and enjoying the moment. Thanks, Paul! 

Miguel Indurain - my favorite cyclist while growing up

After a few mechanical issues (such as about-to-blow-out tires, broken rims, and bikes that need more TLC than I care to give them), I was out the door to join the Big Boys for some riding fun (and most likely a little sufferfest). 

Why? 

Because it said so on my training plan

Didn't it also say to go for a tempo run yesterday? 

Ahem. Yes. It did. 

Does that mean you are suddenly feeling all better today? 

Ahem. No. It doesn't. 

I don't get it. 

Well. You see. If there is one thing I love more than trail running it is riding my bike! And when the weather is nice and Coach M let's me do the group ride, I just have a really hard time resisting. I have to go! I wanna go fast and I wanna go hard. I wanna feel the wind in my face and the snot on my shoulders. 

The group was the perfect size. About 15 guys and 1 other girl. I made sure Audrey was going to be there. Then I am a lot less nervous. Actually, the whole group was rather mellow and I felt much more comfortable than usual. I also didn't feel the need to Hang On or Bust like I did on this day. I had a blast! I love me a double pace line and I even enjoyed (trying to hang on during) the sprints. Turns out we had a Dutch ITU Pro (preparing to qualify for the Olympics in San Diego next month) and his coach with us. Those guys are always trouble because they love nothing more than a few (or a lot of) little (or long) sprints here and there. Good times! 

I got dropped on a hill fairly late but found a great guy to work with. We just kept the group in sight, put our heads down, and worked hard all the way back into town. We even caught back up to the fast guys and rolled home with them. Thanks for all the pulling, David! 

Was this the smart thing to do? Of course not! Was this what my body needed? Nope. Am I feeling so much happier and better about myself now? Yes! This is exactly what my mind needed.

I love this sport. I love going hard. I love my life


PS: I am really hoping I don't have to write another post entitled Paying the Price in a few days... Here is to feeling better than ok next week! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm