Skip to main content

Queen of the Hill


with my great friends, Jeanette and Amber

Yes. I know. It's been a long time. I have been writing plenty of entertaining blog posts in my head while training but I don't seem to find the time to put them down in actual writing. But don't worry, you haven't missed (too) much.

Short update: We are not in Germany anymore. After a little two-week stint back home in Flagstaff, we are now in Utah! Hooray! I love myself a little Utah vacation!

We got into town on Tuesday night just in time for the Wonder Woman Hill Climb on Wednesday. I warmed up with a swim in the morning, a visit to 7 Peaks Water Park with the whole family, and a 20-mile ride to the race venue. Certainly my kind of day! The hill climb was put on by Coach M and was basically a lovely reunion of friends! So fun!

I had no idea what to expect. I had never done that climb since it's just a little outside of my usual Utah cycling radius. So I decided to just see what the real cyclists (I don't consider myself a cyclist or a runner. I am a triathlete...) would do and follow them. One girl in particular seemed to be keen on winning, so I glued myself to her back wheel. For about 0.5 miles. Then I started to get bored and/or worried. I think it was a combination of This is kinda fun but now let's change things up a bit and I really don't want to have to sprint to the finish line. Then I remembered Coach M's plan which said something like: I want this to be an all-out effort. It didn't say: I want you to win this race. She wanted me to kill myself and see at what point I would pass out. As usual. If I blow up half-way through, so what?

So I went. It was a small field of 35 women but I have to admit that it was so fun to attack. I have never competed in a bike race, so this was a first. And I had a blast! I've watched my fair share of Tours de France, so I figured I would put my head down for a while and hammer up the hill, then look back and if a whole bunch of women were still on my wheel, then I would drop back, draft some, and attack again. It sounded like great fun but when I looked back there was nobody on my wheel. Bummer! So I put my head down some more because I was worried I had made a wrong move and they were going to fly by me later.

Suddenly I was close to the top and nobody had come by yet! Sweet! I was certainly glad I didn't disappoint Coach HT or my friends, Jen and Tony, who were timing the race. I was wishing I could do the two-hands-in-the-air-fist-pump-thingy they do at the Tour but, sadly, I don't really know how to take both hands off the handle bars on this bike without tipping over...

I was stoked to see my fellow triathlon friends, Jeanette and Amber, take 2nd and 3rd. I love racing with friends! Eventually we rode/flew back down to the start where we had a little party with all the other ladies. And, yes, they did make me wear a crown and I didn't even mind... Then I rode back home. Almost. It got too dark and so I decided to hang out at Carlee's house until Karl would come and get me. Thank you, friends and husband, for taking such good care of me!


PS: Wonder Woman is putting on an amazing ride (short, middle, or century) in Payson, Utah in September. I highly recommend it to girls of all abilities! Come out and play with us!

PPS: Entry fee was $15 and I walked away with a pair of earrings, a necklace, a water bottle, a gift certificate to i-Tunes, and a free massage. Wow! I would like to have more of these kinds of races around!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm