Skip to main content

I could get used to this...



The off-season hasn't been so bad. Not bad at all, actually. 
I have been enjoying myself quite a bit over the last few weeks. 

(As long as we pretend that my leg is healing up nicely 
with all the treatment and care that I have been giving it. 
Note: 
Please do not ask me how my leg is doing. 
Unless you want me to become extremely frustrated
Thank you. )

It seems like it always takes me a couple of weeks to calm down after racing season. Once I do, I can (almost) see why some people choose not to spend half their day training. It certainly helps that Karl went out of town for 10 days this month. Nothing like a bit of forced rest! 

Here is what one of my days looked like: 

swim
massage
nap
bike to school to pick up Max
(leave key to his bike lock at home)
walk home with Max
grocery shopping 
walk to school to pick up Noah
play at the tree park
enjoy the beautiful fall weather
bike home 
eat dinner as a family
play a game together 


You can see why I titled this post: I could get used to this... 
Doesn't this sound like a pretty good and balanced mid-week day? 

My favorite part about the off-season: 
I don't feel completely exhausted 
all of the time! 

There are plenty of afternoons during the season
when I honestly don't know how I am going
to make it until bedtime. 
Everything, and I mean every little thing,
seems like more than I can handle. 
I don't have energy for anything but the actual training. 
I try hard to still be the active and fun mom that I want to be 
but it's hard! 

This doesn't mean
that I have actually been getting any of the many things
on my off-season list of things-to-do done. 
I mean: I am supposed to be taking a break, right? 
So how could I possible clean the kitchen
if I am supposed to take it easy? 
Or clean out the kids' closet? 
I don't think so. 
I'd rather be saving my energy!
The list is going to have to wait until base training. 

Base training starts November 1st. 
Wait! That's tomorrow! 
Maybe it's time I log back into Training Peaksand see if there is a nice little schedule waiting for me!
The running column may or may not still be emptybut there is plenty of fun to be had in the pool and on the bike! I am trying to convince Coach M to put some chores on there as well. Because in that case maybe, just maybe, they would actually get done!

I am pretty sure that spectating Ironman Arizona in 2 weeks and helping out at the TriSports.com aid station on the run is going to have me fired up to get back into shape! I can hardly wait to see my friends, including Coachie, smash themselves! 

Happy Autumn! 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec