Skip to main content

Birthday Blast


Karen and I - Team Pay'n'Take

I am seriously bummed the weekend is already over! 
I was having way too much fun

I started celebrating my 32nd birthday on Thursday morning 
with a 3,200 meter swim. 
I know. Big deal. 
I actually got out of the water way earlier than usual. Ha! 
Good thing it's the off-season or I would've had to swim 
32*200 or 3.2 miles or something crazy like that! 
The bad news: 
I didn't really invite any of my lane mates, 
so I was having this party in the pool all by myself. 
The good news: 
I didn't care one bit. Still had a blast! 

Yep. A lovely self-portrait. 

After herding the boys out the door and a quick breakfast, 
it was time to ride 32 miles with my training buddy Karen. 
I coaxed Coach M into putting this ride on her plan 
so Karen wouldn't have any excuse to bail on me. 
M must've forgotten that it's my off-season 
because the plan called for a bunch of 2 mile repeats. 
Oh. Right. 
It's Karen's plan - not mine - we are following these days. 
Coach M: I figured you could hang!
So I tried... 


The view wasn't half bad 
and since I took the camera on the ride with me
I took many useless self-portraits
Why not? 
Karen was busy focusing on her intervals, 
so I had plenty of time to play around.

The ride was great
Lovely views, great pace, perfect company!
What more could a girl ask for on her birthday?


Thursday night I was stressed out 
because I hadn't packed a thing for our weekend trip. 
I was supposed to go on another 32 mile ride with Jennifer 
early Friday morning, and do a whole bunch of other stuff
until leaving town at noon.

I don't like stress. So I cancelled the ride. 
Instead, I got up at 5 am, headed over to the Y, 
and had another party by myself on the spin bike for 32 miles. 
By the time it got light I was back home 
having a nice birthday morning with the family. 

I figured that there might be a slight chance
that I wasn't going to pull off 32 running miles on Saturday. 
So I decided that 6 miles on Friday + 26 miles on Saturday 
would still count for 32 birthday miles. 
This was my party and I was in charge of the rules. 
I like being in charge... 

So I ran next to my kids on their bikes to school, 
dropped them off, ran some more, 
came back to volunteer at the Mustang Gallop, ran home.
 6 miles. Done. 
Time to pack up and hit the road.

6 painfully slow hours later we made it to our destination.
Colleen welcomed us with a house full of food 
and fun friends! Lucky me!!! 

Yep. That's my coach!

Have I mentioned that Coach HT was there? 
You certainly wouldn't want to miss him! 
Love that guy! 
In case you are wondering: 
He did indeed run the entire marathon in this very outfit!

And because this post is already getting rather long and I have a kids birthday party to plan and execute
in a couple of days, I am going to tell you about the marathon in my next post. 
Best for last, right? 
So stay tuned...








Comments

Karen said…
Hey, if I'd known you were posting pictures I woulda fixed my hair.

That was a great b-day ride!!! How adorable - THIRTY-TWO. Remember that for mine, we're going to be doing everything times *FORTY-SIX*. Shut up.

love ya! K.

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec