Skip to main content

Fall Faves: The Nebo Loop



There is so much great riding in Utah Valley and, after 5 years in Flagstaff, I am so happy to be back on these gorgeous mountain roads! Especially in the fall. Summer is my favorite but a warm autumn day in the mountains with yellow and red leaves scattered across the road and falling down all around me - it's magical and makes my heart jump for joy! 



In preparation for Ironman Arizona, I have had the pleasure of doing some really long rides. All of them solo. It's not my first choice to spend 6 hours in the saddle by myself with no one to talk to but, seeing how it's been hard to find the right training partners here (I was SPOILED in Flagstaff), I do enjoy the solitude and it's great preparation for race day. 



The Nebo loop from my house in Provo is SUCH a great long training ride. The first hour or so is along the foothills to the mouth of Payson Canyon and then the climbing starts. And keeps going. And going. And when you think you are at the top and start descending, you realize that you're wrong and keep climbing some more. But if you are like me and you LOVE climbing, beautiful views, and mountains, then you are in paradise


And then - to my big surprise - my former coach and good friend, Heath, pulls up next to me and hands me some water and a Snickers! He is the best. I had invited him to come with me but he couldn't make it and, when he found a few extra minutes, he jumped in the car with his two lovely daughters and came to look for me in the canyon. That put a HUGE smile on my face! Thank you, Heath!





I was having a really good day on the bike and felt so much joy. This right here is a BIG reason I do this crazy sport. Because - other than my family - nothing fills me with happiness and gratitude for this amazing life more than being out here. Sun, warmth, hills, trees, mountains, fresh air in my lungs, wind in my face, healthy body, feeling alive


As I was getting closer to the top and had a better view of Mount Nebo, I remembered all of the other adventures we've had in the past on this mountain. One of them being a two-day winter ascent back in 2004. We had such a great group of friends that winter and climbed to the top of most of the mountains in our part of the Wasatch Range. Such good memories! Some day I'll get back into mountaineering and do crazy stuff that doesn't involve a swimsuit, running shoes, or a bike. Like summitting Mt. Rainier again. But - for now - triathlon is still calling my name! 

Throwing it back to the winter of 2004 on Mount Nebo with Mandy  


After descending down the other side of Nebo, there is finally a place to re-fuel before biking all the way back down in the valley. Here is where I really started pushing it and - unlike some days where you push but nothing really happens - I was cruising along, hitting some good numbers, and totally in my element. 


At the end of the day, this was some good money in the IM AZ bank. 
Tired legs, nourished soul, calm mind, family time! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec