Skip to main content

March - Rising Tide Fun in Denver




Rising Tide Triathlon Coaching (RTTC) hosted its first (swim/run) camp in Denver. I got to be a pat of it and it was oh so much fun! After the February camp in Arizona and some great training in the following weeks, I wasn't feeling my best and headed to Denver definitely feeling a bit tired. I think that was Sonja's plan all along. This way I had a better chance of being able to just chill and go with the flow. It worked! 

 


Pat and I came a few days before everyone else and got to ride our bikes together in beautiful Colorado, a state I definitely haven't spent enough time in! Yes, it was at least as cold as it looks. We never took off any layers. We just added them as we climbed higher and higher and it got colder and colder. But Coach Sonja was right there following us in her car, so there was no crying or quitting... Which I am so glad I didn't because it ended up being a super fun and gorgeous day! 



And then the other campers arrived! I knew exactly none of them which means a lot of awesome and nice new friends! It was a fantastic group of girls. And Pat. 



A highlight was swimming in the beautiful Denver University pool. With none other than super swim star Missy Franklin training next to us! What a treat! Love my new Rising Tide bikini. So cute! 

The girls. And Missy Franklin. And Pat. 


We had a wonderfully warmish and sunny day and then the snow started to fall. And kept falling and falling. We knew it was coming so we enjoyed the blue sky and clear roads while we could. 



Nothing like running under the watchful eye of your coach. It's something that I have been missing as I love and thrive training in a squad-like environment. It's much easier to push myself and I like not knowing the exact workout beforehand. 



All of the Rising Tide coaches are top notch and I especially enjoyed getting to know Mikki who is in charge of writing the schedules and a genius at it! 


RTTC coaches Audra, Sonja, Mikki, and Andrea 


Lunch after a long swim was always a highlight and super yummy. It was followed by a presentation from one of the coaches and we learned a ton! Thank you! 



When the roads were icy and the snow falling, we stayed inside and enjoyed Plan B which was a gym workout from our strength coach Audra. Let's just say she knows how to kick your ass and I love her for it! 




There was also plenty of time for some much-needed and important recovery. Love me some Normatec boots and a hot tub full of girls and sea horses! 




At night the whole group would go out to dinner together, enjoy each other's company, and get to know our RTTC teammates and coaches better. Overall it was a very well-balanced few days and I had a really good time. Thank you, Rising Tide




Photo credit: To anyone and everyone in this group! We shared all of our photos and now I can't remember who took which. But I love them! Thank you! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec