Skip to main content

May - Adjusting Expectations


taking some time to reflect on my triathlon journey 

It took me a long time to recover from Oceanside 70.3, a race that I probably shouldn't have started let alone finished. And - for the first time every in my triathlon career - I have to admit that I am injured. This isn't just a niggle or an issue that I can take of, this is something that could possibly ruin the rest of my season and I still don't know exactly what the problem is. I am in the process of figuring that out, so stay tuned! 


Love Moab camping! Not a bad spot we got last minute.  

We had a family trip to Moab planned shortly after Oceanside and it came at a great time! I was forced to take a break from running and biking which makes camping with the family much more fun for all of us than when I need to bring my bike as well and am trying to squeeze in some training. To be honest, Karl and the boys have done most of the camping without me over the last couple of years. Not because I don't love it but because it's something they like to do when I am out of town anyway and because triathlon training and camping doesn't always match up very well. At least not the kind of rustic and simple tent camping that we prefer. I was really excited to just hang out and do whatever is on the family's agenda for the day! 

Can't remember which of the many arches this one was! Haha. 

My favorite part of this trip was our hike in Arches National Park. Karl and I both love the Devils Garden Loop Trail and wanted to show it to the boys. It's a 7.6 mile loop in Arches National Park which features 7 of the loops in the park and - in my opinion - one of the best hikes ever! The first mile or so is quite crowded with tourists but once you hit the primitive part of the loop, we didn't see another soul for miles! 

Arches might just be our favorite NP

The kids were troopers! (Which is certainly not the case on all of our family hikes...) They went at least half of the way barefoot and played some sort of 'us-versus-enemies' game that kept them entertained and moving at a good pace most of the way. It just never gets boring! You are hiking on sand or slick rock, up and down boulders, trying to find the cairns, looking for arches. This hike is good for the soul! 

red rock + clear water = heaven 

I wasn't really making any progress in the injury department, we were still living with my in-laws, and I wasn't able to exercise! Not a good combination. I decided that I needed to get out and see my good friend, Karen! So we met up in St. George for a couple of days for some fun in the sun. St. George never disappoints! I love that place. We both pulled into town from different directions and met at Sand Hollow. The perfect place to start off a St. George trip.


This trip, just like the one to Moab, was so good for my soul. We talked and laughed and talked and laughed. It was just what I needed! We also rode bikes just a little bit and pretty slowly because that's what we do and, while it didn't feel great, it also didn't make things worse. Originally, this was going to be a little training camp for the 70.3 here in town and, although these pics might suggest otherwise, I am really not training at all. I am laying very low and am spending a LOT of time at various doctor's but if I don't want to lose it mentally, then I need to at least PRETEND that I am still an athlete here and there. 

Nope. Not very casually deliberate. 

We practiced our casually deliberate bike pose in order to be able to comply with Velominati Rule #80 but we failed horribly. I love the rules even if I am breaking at least 7 of them every time I go out on my bike! That said, if riders in a group all followed the most important ones, I would actually have a lot more fun! 

Summit Athletic Club pool rocks! 

Two swims in one day outside in the sun make this girl happy! Thanks, Louis, for the new fun gear. Easy swimming is definitely a lot more fun with me when I have paddles, band, pull buoy, and snorkel with me! Thank you, Karen, for meeting up with me and being such a great friend! 

Not nearly as warm as two weeks ago! 

A few weeks later we were back for the St. George 70.3! I had held out hope that things would come around surprisingly quickly and I could stick with racing St. George 70.3 on Saturday and then Ironman Texas the next week. I had been excited for the double all season and was pretty bummed when I realized that there was simply no way. I think I could've pulled it off fitness-wise but I am determined to give this injury the respect, rest, and attention that it needs to heal. Both kids were busy that weekend, so Karl and I decided to go down to meet up with friends, cheer on everybody, and camp just the two of us. The camping didn't turn out to be such a great idea after all... 


Coeur Sports girls are the best! Go Jeana! 

We camped in Snow Canyon and had our spectating plan all laid out when we woke up to RAIN! Cold, nasty, relentless rain. I may have had a few moments of: TGINR! (Thank God I'm Not Racing!)  We headed over to the road just in time to see the first few guys climb up the canyon. It was the perfect place to cheer and spectate! And since the road was closed all day, we were the only ones up there! We stayed there for a couple of hours in the rain and actually felt quite useful. We were able to help a handful of racers struggling with the conditions and their equipment. And we certainly were inspired by many! Eventually we rode bikes down on the path, cheering along the way, to get over to the run course. It was a tough day out there but so many racers and friends were even tougher and raced their hearts out. It was great to see! 

Anne had a stellar day coming 2nd in the 30-34 AG. Congrats!  

Was it hard to watch and not race myself? Not really. And I am not just saying that because of the weather. Once it was clear that I would not be racing, I was ok with it. I love this sport and the people in it too much to stay away simply because things aren't going my way. I genuinely enjoy ringing my cowbell all day and watching other people race. But I do hope to be back next year! 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf

When the wheels come off...

(some of) NAU Masters I know I have been racing pretty well lately. I also know that I have plenty of workouts where I don't even come close to nailing it. Some days I feel like crap the minute I leave the house and would rather go back home than keep running or biking. Monday was one of those days... I took the week after Boise pretty easy . Lots of fun workouts, very little structure. I absolutely love having a coach and a plan but I am also a big fan of just going out and doing whatever I feel like. The next week was still pretty low-key . Partly because Karl was out of town, partly because I was still enjoying a nice little mid-season break. Then I had a couple of good training days and was ready to get back at it. Or so I thought. Monday actually started out better than anticipated. I was excited to be back with the NAU Masters and we even had 2 famous visitors: Leanda Cave , triathlon world champion. Thorsten Abel , Leanda's husband and successful German pro triat