Skip to main content

GET BIT! Dogtown Half Marathon Race Report



Racing season is only a few short weeks away for me and Coach M decided it would be a good idea for me to run a half marathon. Just to see where I am at and to kick of the new season. We have really been taking it easy with the running to help my leg heal. (Which isn't happening by the way.) So to say I felt unprepared is an understatement. I knew I could go the distance but I also knew that it would most likely not be very much fun. I was hoping Coach M would say that she would like to see where I am at when I go 80-90% but no such luck. I was to go hard and give it everything. Within reason, of course. 

Since St. George is one of my favorite places to train and race, I chose to run the:


We had a nice little HT Training group racing and supporting which is always super fun. On top of, that my wonderful and gracious hosts, Adam and Colleen Rue, happened to be in charge of sound and the entire finish line. I really had no choice but to come and be part of the festivities

The race was rather small (400 runners) which is just the way I like it. Rode the bus to the start, got in a nice warm-up, hung out with friends, got off to a decent start. Coachie happened to be right next to me at the beginning so we chatted away for a while. I have been training without music (unless I am stuck inside for hours) and I left the iPod at home for the race as well. In which case I like to talk because I'd rather not be thinking: Oh my. Are you serious? Only Mile 1? 12 more miles of this? And so on... This certainly wasn't the race where I was going to go hard at the beginning and then see when I would die. I wasn't interested in anything remotely close to dying. 

Stuart, Coachie, me, random girl

Stuart, another HT athlete, joined us as well and we had a nice little group run going. That lasted until Mile 9 when Coachie decided to turn on the jets and speed ahead. I told Stuart: We are on our own. Let's do this! So we did. We had been running consistently and I was really enjoying the course. Ups, downs, flats, rollers. Nice and honest. Coach M told me that I would probably get tired around Mile 9. I agreed. Considering that I haven't run more than 10 miles in a really long time, that made sense. So of course my legs suddenly felt like lead at Mile 9. Wait a second! What's the problem here? Is it my legs or my mind? Am I really getting tired or is my mind telling me that I am supposed to be getting tired right now? I contemplated this for a mile or so and then decided it didn't matter. Let's just get this over with! The faster I run, the sooner I'm done! 

With one mile to go, Stuart and I were still side by side. I had never met the guy before but suddenly he as my best friend! I looked at my watch and told him: 1:22. Then it registered and suddenly I got really excited: We are going to make it! We are going to break 1:30! Go go go! So we went. I had figured that if things went well and the leg behaved I could run a 7:00 average pace. And if things went very well maybe, just maybe, I could sneak in under 1:30. 

Good news: My time was 1:28:16
Bad news: My leg was in pain the entire time. 

Sitting in the car for 6 hours the day before the race made my leg very unhappy and it decided to let me know just how mad it was. Well, guess what? I am done with that leg. Sorry, dude. But I have been paying attention to you and babying you for a long time now and I've had it. You can either behave or not. I don't care anymore. I will take care of you just like I take care of the rest of my body but that's all you're gonna get. Take that! Yep. Certainly not the best approach but I need a break. 

And then we went for a bike ride...

 I got to stay in paradise for 6 full days and I had a blast. But that's a story for another day... 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf

When the wheels come off...

(some of) NAU Masters I know I have been racing pretty well lately. I also know that I have plenty of workouts where I don't even come close to nailing it. Some days I feel like crap the minute I leave the house and would rather go back home than keep running or biking. Monday was one of those days... I took the week after Boise pretty easy . Lots of fun workouts, very little structure. I absolutely love having a coach and a plan but I am also a big fan of just going out and doing whatever I feel like. The next week was still pretty low-key . Partly because Karl was out of town, partly because I was still enjoying a nice little mid-season break. Then I had a couple of good training days and was ready to get back at it. Or so I thought. Monday actually started out better than anticipated. I was excited to be back with the NAU Masters and we even had 2 famous visitors: Leanda Cave , triathlon world champion. Thorsten Abel , Leanda's husband and successful German pro triat