Skip to main content

Tales from Today


fun ride with friends in St. George

Today didn't start out too well. Actually, this whole week has been a drag. I am trying to figure out which of the following to blame: being back at altitude, PMS, some sort of minor sickness, or just plain old tired legs. I am still not sure but I know one thing: When it's time for us to move back to lower elevation, I won't be sad. Yeah, it's nice to train high and race low but it sucks to feel like crap during and after every single workout. And I have decided that you don't necessarily feel better after you've been up here for a few weeks (quite the opposite actually), but you just get used to the crappy feeling. So. There you have it. That's my take on living and training at 7,000 ft.

that's what it looked like, minus the shirts, plus goggles

Anyway. Where was I? Oh yes. My swim this morning. I was about to start feeling sorry for myself again when JL showed up at Masters in his swim suit, goggles, and fur hat! He had won that awesome hat at the Kahtoola Agassiz Uphill Race and I dared him to wear it to the pool. So he did. After strutting around with it on the blocks for a minute, he dove in and swam a full 100m. Hat and all. Talk about someone making my day! Thank you, JL! The swim wasn't so bad after all. It only took me about 1,500 meters to warm up...

Next up: Breakfast break with the family. Well, I was eating breakfast, the kids were playing Lego, and Karl was getting my bike ready. Yes, I know that I have a fabulous husband. Last night he put new tires on my road bike in order to stop my one-flat-per-ride-since-January-2nd record. This morning he was cleaning it. In case you are wondering: He gave me a bunch of bike-maintenance coupons for Christmas. Best gift ever!

I was ready to roll with the PnT group. Spring break plus a race in Tucson made for a small turnout but luckily there was one other girl: my friend, Jena! Yay for someone to talk to. Even though I disguise myself as a roadie (road bike, socks, never a sleeveless jersey, gloves), the guys still won't talk to me. It doesn't really bother me, I just think it's funny. They warmed up a little after an hour when there were about 10 of us left but I am not sure if I prefer silence or remarks such as: "Do you tri?" (How did they find out I am a triathlete?!?) or "You have a nice pair of legs. They look so strong, it's almost scary!" (Which means that it's really time to get down to racing weight because I am not interested in carrying these thighs up the St. George hills! Easier said than done...)

Have I mentioned that group rides like this are my absolute favorite? Well, let me tell you again... Of all sports and workouts, I love nothing more than getting my butt kicked by a bunch of roadies who know how ride! Love the speed, love the tactics, love how nothing but the wheel in front of me matters for hours at a time, love the sprints (which I always lose big time because I don't even attempt to pick up the pace), love the challenge. Huge group rides with a no-drop policy are (most of the time) my worst nightmare. If I want to be waiting around a lot, I ride bikes with my kids... On this ride people get dropped right and left and if you aren't paying close attention all of the time, you are going to be one of them. And we know what that means: solo ride all the way back. Unless you can put your head down and try to limit the damage by working together with someone in the same situation. Which is what happened to me today: I got dropped but hooked up with 'guy-in-black-kit-on-Trek-bike-wearing-Specialized-socks-but-don't-ask-me-what-his-face-looks-like' and we were able to meet back up with the lead pack during their pee break. Phew!

...

Soooo, I don't really feel like finishing this post the way I had intended to. It's been a week and not even I am interested in how the rest of the ride went, so I am sure neither are you! I had hoped to join them again this Saturday but, alas, I am sick. Not terribly sick. Just a head cold which I am trying to keep from moving down into my chest because, once it's down there, it likes to stay and I'd rather be back to healthy soon!

It has nevertheless been a great week of family camping on Mount Lemmon. I'm sad it's over because we had a lot fun and I wouldn't mind riding that mountain at least once a week for the rest of my life! More on that later...














Comments

Jason Q said…
Did you swim at the University of Maryland?

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Freedom Run

I decided to celebrate my freedom by running the Freedom Run 10k . Not exactly my favorite kind of race but definitely one to make me feel alive and happy . For this girl endorphins = happiness . I know. I know. It's not everlasting happiness. But I will take it. The more happiness, the better . Right? My motto for this race: "A lot of people race to see who is fastest . ` I race to see who has the most guts ." -Steve Prefontaine It's time for me to show some guts in racing and training. Time to get out of the grey zone and push myself hard. Time to really hurt and put it all on the line. I wanted to run sub 40 minutes. That is a 6:25 pace. That is fast for me. The plan was to start out fast and try to hold it. If I was going to die at the end, so be it. Fortunately, I had some great company for the Sufferfest . It went something like this: I convinced Jen . Jen convinced Carlee . Carlee convinced Heather . Here we are ready to race We also have matchi