Skip to main content

100*100 - My First 10k in the Pool


how I was hoping to feel 

Recently I decided that this was going to be the year that I was going to swim 100 * 100 meters in the pool. According to most of the blogs I have been reading lately, you've gotta to that set to be cool. Not that I care too much about being cool (or I wouldn't wear my sweat pants until 5pm and then change into pajamas) but I'm always up for a challenge. Swim week back in January didn't cause me to cry into my goggles, so I thought maybe a nice little 10k in the pool would do it. I figured it could be my birthday swim set in October. Or maybe I could do it down in the Valley in an outdoor pool and get a sweet tan. But I decided that some company would trump everything else and so I wrote an email to Frank, our Masters Swim Coach. 

I should've known. Last time my wish was granted instantly. This time his reply was: How about we do it before Spring Break? Aehm. Wait a second! Spring break is in 3 weeks! I was shooting for sometime this year! But, not being one to back down from a challenge, I told him that I am only in town for 1 of the 3 Saturdays before Spring Break and would be more than happy to do it then. It was the day after getting home from a week of training in St. George but why not make this already epic workout a little more challenging? Coach M basically just rolled her eyes when I told her about my plan. I think she is about to give up on me... To make matters worse, Coach Frank didn't announce: Next Saturday we will have practice for 3 hours for whoever wants to try to swim 100*100. Nope. He said: Sarah wants to swim 100*100 next Saturday if you want to join her. Craptastic! Suddenly the pressure was on and I realized that I couldn't very well back out of this one even if I wanted to. 


To make a long story short, on Friday night the last thing I wanted to do was wake up before 5am and swim a 10k. I had just gotten home from my trip that afternoon, Karl had the flu, my bags were all over the place, I was supposed to go to a church dinner and talent show, and the kids wanted my undivided attention. Sounds manageable, right? Well, it was. Until Noah got his fingers smashed within the first 5 minutes at church. He was hurting badly and, after Max had eaten his chili and cupcake, we headed back home right away. Where Max threw up twice all over the place during the night. My sick husband basically took care of that single-handedly since he was sleeping on the couch anyway. Huge props to him. But it made for a rather restless night. 

Before getting out of bed, I made a very wise decision: I did not need to prove anything to anyone. It had been a long week already and if I were to stop after, let's say, 64*100 most likely no one would even notice because so far I hadn't been able to convince anyone to join me. I took the pressure off and suddenly felt much better. I would just give the best I had in my today and enjoy the fact that I am healthy and that I get to do this! That didn't sound too difficult. Worst-case scenario, this would happen: 



When I pulled up in front of the pool at 5:15, there were actually some cars waiting already! I should've known that my friends weren't going to let me down! Or so I thought... After laying out my 3 bottles, 4 GUs, and one Lara bar, I got in a lane with Chris. The minute we took off for our first 100, my plan went out the window. After desperately trying to keep up with Chris, who set a very fast pace, I decided to back off. This wasn't a race and I had a long way to go still. So it was just me and myself for the next ninety-four 100s. No one to draft behind and no one to help me count. Fine then! 

I swam. And swam. And swam some more. 

And, much to my own surprise, this never happened: 


After fifty-four 100s, I yelled over to Karen and Paul, who were keeping me great company even though they were in the next lane over doing their own thing: I think I am going to do it! I knew at this point that I was going to make it. My mind was willing and my body followed. I surprised myself! The mind is such a powerful tool and I get excited whenever I figure out how to use it to my advantage. I remember thinking during #92: Wow. Only 8 left. I could do this for much longer! Not sure who I was fooling here but I was glad I was feeling decent still. Actually, it was bugging me a little that I wasn't about to drown and so I turned on (whatever was left of) my jets for the next 800.


Done and done! I was on a high for the rest of the day.

Congratulations to Chris who killed this set! I expected him to die half-way through but he toughed it out and is now my new best friend! (I love having best friends about whom all I know is their first name and the color of their swim suit...)

Huge thanks to Coach Frank who sacrificed his Saturday morning so that 3 of us could make this set! (And others, including Karen, could record their longest swim so far.)

Then I went home and I spend the next two days hanging out with my family. No workouts. I never left my boys' side. It was just what I (and maybe they) needed. 

You should try this! 
If you want to... 
It's not nearly as bad as it sounds. 
Really. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec