Skip to main content

Italy '97 and '98 - My First Triathlon Training Camps


ready to roll in Cesenatico, Italy ('97)

Sometimes, and especially after last week's HT training camp, I feel like there are a lot of things that my athlete friends don't know or realize about me. Things and experiences that shaped me and turned me into the person and athlete that I am today. There is obviously lots of room for improvement in all areas of my life but it might be interesting to see where I am coming from. I finally have some scanned pictures to go with my stories, so before writing about last week's camp I am going to tell you about my first two training camps in Cesenatico, Italy. 

Although I am not sure where to start. It would make sense to start at the very beginning of my triathlon days but I am going to save that for another day... Seeing how both years of camp were basically identical and took place more than 15 years ago, they blend together nicely in my head and I am unable to keep them separate. So I am just going to tell you what I remember (d'uh) and, in case you were there with me and are reading this blog post (chances of which are ridiculously small), you are welcome to correct me or add details. The basic routine was the same every day and you know how much I love routines and schedules. I was definitely a happy camper! 

in front of our hotel ('98)

6:00
A nice little run on the beach. There was only a small strip of trees and trails separating the hotel from the beach. The Adriatic Sea was literally out the front door. This was a fasted run, meaning we weren't allowed to eat or drink anything after waking up. Not even brush our teeth. Don't ask me why... Coach explained it but of course I can't remember. 

7:00
Light stretching and some core on the beach. In case this sounds like heaven so far - it was! 

7:30
I am pretty sure we went straight to the hotel all-you-can-eat breakfast bar afterwards. Time to fuel for a long day in the saddle! 

that would be me riding in 2nd position...

9:00
Time to hop on the bikes with my TRT Remchingen teammates! Italian roads back then were small and crappy. (At least compared to our small and perfect German roads.) We had a lot of flats! But I wasn't about to complain. First, I learned how to fix flat tires. Second, it gave me a minute to catch my breath and get ready for the next round of 'hang-on-to-the-wheel-in-front-of-you-or-get-lost-in-the-Italian-countryside-and-never-find-your-way-back-to-the-hotel'. It was great fun! Unless the weather didn't cooperate. Which happened a lot. But no one cared. We would ride about 60-90 miles each day and hit one or more serious climbs. The climbing was my favorite part because everyone went at their own pace and we would regroup at the top. On the way back the boys put on the hurt! I remember plenty of times when I was in the back crying into my sunglasses because I didn't think I could hold on any longer. 

I don't think they would have actually dropped me and let me find my own way back home. I was the baby chick after all. Everyone else in our group was at least 8 years older and I was one of only two girls. (Granted, there were quite a few wives and girlfriends who were athletes as well but they usually did their own thing.) Uta, who I am still friends with and see whenever I am back home, is at least 10 years older than me and always took great care of me. I owe her a lot and am so glad that she was around back then! Wait a second, now that I actually think about it, she may have been the one who pampered me least. She just told me how it was while all the guys made a big fuss about their little chick. Ha! That might be why I ended up liking her the best... 

These rides were long and hard, especially the first year. I have so many little snippets stored away in my memory from the good, the bad, and the ugly. It was beautiful, fun, brutal, challenging, and I loved every minute of it. It taught me how to suffer and how to embrace a good sufferfest! I learned a lot on those rides and I really believe that I started laying a foundation during those years that I am still benefitting from today! 

15:00
A nice little transition run either on the forest trails or on the beach. The focus was definitely on the bike since the weather in Germany at that time of year doesn't allow much riding outdoors. 

me and the boys

16:00
Swim anyone? We certainly didn't swim very much but I think that's when I learned to enjoy a good recovery swim when my body is already tired. The 25m outdoor pool was part of the hotel.  It doesn't get better than that! Don't let the above picture fool you. We never swam in the ocean. Way too cold. We just took a little dip and ran back out. A few of us who didn't swim would go to the sauna. German style*. Let's just say that I went once and didn't feel the urge to go back. Germans would definitely consider me prude. Americans? Not so much. Quite the opposite actually. 

18:00
Dinner!!! Just like breakfast: all-you-can-eat buffet. Lots and lots of good and healthy stuff. Heaven! 

19:30
Time for some socializing, playing games, planning bike routes, and just hanging out together. Germans take this part of their day very seriously...  

22:00
Time for bed. Lights out! 



And that was camp! Back home in Germany we would all train together at least four times a week. But more on that later... 


I think this might give some of my friends a better idea of how I grew up in this sport and partly explains some of my personality and likes/dislikes:

** I love to train with guys. Preferably ones that are about 10-15 years older than me. Partly because it's what I am used to, partly because there is much less drama, partly because I feel taken care of. 

** I like to be on a schedule. Preferably a tight one. I am all about efficiency. Can I blame that on my German heritage and upbringing? 

** When something is called 'training camp', the entire day had better revolve around training, eating, and recovery. Otherwise I won't be a happy camper. 

** I love to be challenged. It doesn't matter whether I win or lose but I am going to give it my best and use it to make me stronger. 



That's it. I can't think of anything else right now. It's time to hit the sack and get ready for another camp. This time it's not a training camp though. Quite the opposite: it's time for a whole week of family camping! I am going to try to relax, go with the flow, not worry about training, and just enjoy my husband and kids. Oh boy. Wish me luck! 




* Yes. I am saying that there were men and women in there and no one was wearing any clothing whatsoever. 

Comments

kar jar said…
Love it! I hadn't even seen these pics before. I sure hope that someday there will be a reunion and I can attend, and suffer with the pioneers of triathlon!

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec