Skip to main content

On Dreams and Sportsmanship


Max came home from Kindergarten with this wonderful piece of art the other day:


I certainly can't keep all my kids' art projects and was about to throw this one in the trash, when I folded the bottom out and read this: 

When I am 100 years old I will... 

... be a professional at any sport

It made me smile. And laugh. And melted my heart. 


He is such a cutie and SUCH a stinker. 

Of course his older brother just busted up laughing when he got home. Because, d'uh, do you know of any 100-year-old that is a professional at any sport? Karl and I were silently laughing as well. 

I love Max's confidence. Obviously he has no idea how long 100 years are. He gets weeks and months and years mixed up and tomorrow seems an eternity away. But he has a strong personality and, although exhausting most days, will come in handy many times throughout his life, I am sure! If there is one thing I hope I can teach my kids besides kindness (which I am struggling with because, let's face it, I have a lot to learn in that department) it would be: dream big, work hard, reach for the stars, fail and try again. You can be anything you want to be! Now I just need to remember that myself... 

This is now the second kid whose teacher has taken time to let us know that we need to work on good sportsmanship. Not in a bad way necessarily. They are good kids. But they are competitive and fierce and, apparently, think they are the best in the world at anything involving sports. Yikes! 

But Noah has learned over time and Max will, too. We talk a lot about what it means to be a good sport. How fun is it to be the best soccer player but to play mean and unfair? No matter how good you are, if you can't play nice, no one wants you on their team. So now the best Kindergarten teacher in the world decided to let Max stay out after his recess and help ref some of the games of the older kids. Needless to say: He LOVES it. And it sounds like he is learning a thing or two. 

It's a process but we are all learning together and enjoying the journey


What do you wanna be when you are 100 years old? 

I want to be healthy and sane and able to enjoy my grandchildren and great-grandchildren! 





Comments

kar jar said…
Right you are. Chris LeMoyne is kindergarten teacher #1 in the world. The champion.

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec