Skip to main content

Best of 2013 in Pictures


What do you think about the new look of my blog? 
I realize that it could be much better but this took about all of the computer skills and patience I currently have, so I hope you like it. I do. And it's too late to change it back anyway... 

The pictures of this post are in no particular order. 
Just however they happened to upload. 
Enjoy!


Best group ride: 

Flagstaff's Pay N Take ride on Saturday morning. 


Now I just need to learn how to hang with the big boys all the way back into town! 


Best local running celebrity I am friends with: 

Olympian Janet Cherobon-Bawcom who lives and trains in Flagstaff. 


Make no mistake, there are lots of world-class runners in this town and I am lucky to call more than one of them my friends! 


Best biking buddy: 

Karen Haubensak. 


Can't wait for more training adventures this year! 


Best coaches:  

Heath and Mahogani Thurston


You realize it's not easy to put up with me. This couple rocks!


Best borrowed bike: 

Sean Warren's Fezzari T5. 


I spared you all of the bike drama this summer for good reason. It wasn't pretty. Sean to the rescue! He let me use his bike July to December and I am forever grateful! 


Best racing buddies: 

 Colleen Rue and Amber Foster


But, really, I love all of my racing friends! 


Best looking training partner: 

This honor has to go to Rivs. 
Especially when I look at the Altra advertisements. 


Wanna ride your bike with him around Mormon Lake? 
Get in line! 


Best award: 

Prize money at the Utah Half!


It's not every day year that I win some cash. 


Best sponsor: 

TriSports.com 


Granted, they were my only sponsor but I was very happy working with them in 2012 and 2013. 


Best swim: 

Emerald Lake 


This swim didn't last very long. Which is partly why it was so good! 


Best supporter: 

Karl Jarvis


husband, kids' best friend, bike-mechanic,  sherpa, and everything else


Best bike ride: 

Two loops at Wupatki


This year I am going to ride two loops starting and ending in town. Who's in? 


Best local race: 

Soulstice


It wasn't a race for me as much as a lovely run in beautiful Flagstaff with many dear friends! 


Best kids: 

Noah (8) and Max (5) 


They are a handful but I wouldn't want it any other way! 


Best run: 



I honestly had no idea I had a 3:09 marathon in me. 
Sub 3 - here I come! Eventually... 


Best local boys: 

There are many but top honors go to Bus, JL, and PB


Thanks for keeping things fun and honest! 


Best treat: 

Half a gallon of ice cream after 70.3 Worlds in Vegas. 


And I didn't even feel sick afterwards... 


Best place to train and race: 

St. George, Utah


But you already knew that... 


2013 was an absolute blast. 

Thank you to all of you who made it awesome! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju...

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm...

Oceanside 70.3 Race Report

(Grab a chair and get comfy, cause this might be kinda long.)  Left Thursday morning with my questionable travel companion , Nate, who turned out to be awesome. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with a nice guy who is a Coach, about to turn Pro, happens to have worked as a bike mechanic, and likes things low-key before a race? Score !  I was super excited to see my friend, Carlee , as soon as we got to the hotel. She provided plenty of entertainment! Both nights I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had to force myself not to look at her or I would bust up laughing (again) for no apparent reason. She is that cool and funny !  I was super duper excited to see the ocean ! I had not been in a few years and it was my first visit to Oceanside. I had been envisioning myself in a beautiful beach town bathing in warmth and sunshine all winter long. This was going to be the reward for many treadmill runs, trainer rides, and bricks in freezing temperat...