Skip to main content

Utah Training and Racing Fun


Summer is long gone but I have so many great memories from training and racing in Utah this summer that I wanted to put them on here. 

ready to climb!

First up was the Wonder Woman Hill Climb put on by Coach Mahogani. It's always a treat to race with a whole bunch of awesome girls! Even better when many of them are friends you haven't seen in a while. Can't think of a better way to spend the evening of July 3rd. Thank you, ladies! 

The next morning, July 4th,  Karl and I ran down a block from his parents' house to participate in the popular Provo Freedom Run 10k. 10k's aren't my favorite because they hurt! A lot. But running along the parade route with tons of spectators is worth it! Karl was way ahead of me and not willing to pace me (He knows better than to do that!), so I was left to my own devices to break 40:00 on this course. I was right on track... until the last mile which is slightly uphill and provides hundreds of obstacles in the form of 5k runners, some with kids and strollers in tow. Missed my goal by a few seconds. Well, shoulda planned better and run harder!

nothing like an HT smashfest on the track

But, don't you worry, I found myself another 10k, the Speedy Spaniard,  a couple of weeks later and crushed 40:00. Maybe thanks to some great speed work on the track under Coaches Heath and Mahogani. The 3 of us girls got to chase the guys (Coach Heath and husband Karl) around the track which was fun painful! 

A few days after our Emerald Lake Triathlon extravaganza, I was signed up for the Timpanogos Half Marathon which is a super fun race and very fast course. I was all set to run a new half marathon PR except that my right foot was really bothering me from all that downhill running on Mount Timp. While the husband is like a Gazelle in the mountains, I am - apparently - not. Coach had warned me but I figured I knew better and, to be honest, it was still worth it! The foot hurt and slowed me down quite a bit but I was still having a blast! Best part of that race was running next to a girl at mile 10 who looked amazing. We chatted a bit and what did I find out? She just had her 5th baby 7 weeks ago. What?!? Only in Utah, I tell ya... And it's not like I was dilly dallying around. I ran a 1:27, so that girl was already back in whopping shape! Very inspiring... 


Next up was the Echo Triathlon. One of my favorites! Fast swim, deceivingly hard bike course, flat trail run. 



Had a great time going 1-2 with my training buddy and friend, Amber! And I came home with a bunch of swag. Love racing in Utah! In case you can't tell... 

some of HT Training with Coach M

The day wasn't quite over yet. I met up with a few HT Training friends and we accompanied Colleen on her last long run (She had already biked a long ways without the boys earlier that day) before Vineman Full. It was a good run up the canyon from Coach's house. Nothing crazy, just a solid run with great company. It was a hot July afternoon and we were all getting tired. We barely made it out of the canyon and to the first gas station where we begged for Coke and they saved us! 

great views, great group, great times

As much I like racing, I love long epic training days even more! Very early one morning, in the dark, a bunch of T3 Triathlon girls headed out to tackle 4 of the Mountains around us: Squaw Peak, South Fork, Alpine Loop, Suncrest. Let me know if you are ever in Utah Valley and I will take you on that tour! It makes for an awesome day of riding and climbing fun! 


The rest of the time, which - luckily - was still many hours a day, I got to hang out with these two wild ones. Nothing like hanging out at the pool on a hot summer day! My favorite. 




Comments

Amber said…
Thanks for this post....July was pretty epic...and that track workout was definitely PAINFUL! :) Looking forward to seeing you next summer, yes??

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec