Skip to main content

The Aftermath


Yesterday's run - Long Canyon in Sedona

(For some reason my last post Before the sickness hit did not show up in Google Reader or people's blogs. Just FYI.)

So. We are talking about the aftermath of the St. George Halfmarathon here. I just feel like I have not quite concluded that story and some of you might still want to know what happened to the planned bike ride.

Well, it went something like this:

I am still shivering in the car while Jen goes to check if the condo is open. While she is gone, I happen to find a big bag of Peanut M&Ms. Perfect post-race recovery snack, right? Protein? Check. Carbs? Check. Fat? Check. Great! I snarf down a handful and (un)fortunately don't feel like eating more. Something must be seriously wrong with me. On a normal day I could eat the whole bag and feel just fine.

I am considering the hot tub but the thought of having to walk to and from the hot tub is unbearable. A long hot shower it is. Then warm clothing, compression socks, and a nap. Sort of. It is kinda hard to sleep when your head wants to explode. There is no way I am missing out on an awesome group ride if I don't absolutely have to, so I drag myself out of bed and get ready.

It's a beautiful day, we had about 30 people, and I love the Veyo loop. I am also really looking forward to spending some more time with Jen and Anne. (Assuming I can keep up with them.) My legs feel better than anticipated and I am getting my hopes up. For about 3 minutes. Then my lungs feel like they are going to burst any second. I am in serious trouble. I don't wanna give up but after about 10 minutes I know there is only one way to go for me - back to the car. I barely make it back. I am not really mad. Just a little sad. I tried, I gave it my best shot, and that is all I can ask of my body.

Back to the condo. More napping. Trying to be social when the others get back but I can't really talk and laughing kills me. I even skip dinner with the whole group and watch a movie instead. After all, I want to get over this sickness as quickly as possible and resume training. The rest of the trip is pretty uneventful since most everybody leaves Saturday night. I decide to stay until Sunday morning and take it easy on the drive back. I do get to enjoy some fun tri-talk with Missy, Tony, and Steve. There is pretty much nothing I'd rather talk about than triathlon. Not even my kids.

That't it. End of story. My next trip to St. George proves to be much, much better. I can't wait to tell you all about it.

PS: So Jameson was right. Sorry to disappoint those of you who thought I was made of iron and could handle anything... Not so.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju...

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm...

Oceanside 70.3 Race Report

(Grab a chair and get comfy, cause this might be kinda long.)  Left Thursday morning with my questionable travel companion , Nate, who turned out to be awesome. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with a nice guy who is a Coach, about to turn Pro, happens to have worked as a bike mechanic, and likes things low-key before a race? Score !  I was super excited to see my friend, Carlee , as soon as we got to the hotel. She provided plenty of entertainment! Both nights I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had to force myself not to look at her or I would bust up laughing (again) for no apparent reason. She is that cool and funny !  I was super duper excited to see the ocean ! I had not been in a few years and it was my first visit to Oceanside. I had been envisioning myself in a beautiful beach town bathing in warmth and sunshine all winter long. This was going to be the reward for many treadmill runs, trainer rides, and bricks in freezing temperat...