Skip to main content

Spring Break


Old photo I found on this old computer.

Well, I won't brag about a good workout on this blog again for a while. For a whole week after that run my training basically sucked. Sad but true.

Saturday my plan called for 50/5. Meaning 50 miles on the bike followed by a 5-mile run. I love bricks! They are my favorite! I usually feel better running off the bike than just running. Let's just say this one did not go as planned. I managed to have a HR average of 125 bpm although I (thought I) was doing intervals. Pathetic! I guess holding onto your handlebars for dear life and breaking on the downhills for fear of getting blown over does not give you a good workout. It still wears you out though. I tried so hard to run fast off the bike and I just did not have it in me. I was so done when I got home!

People warned me that spring in Flagstaff was going to be windy. "Well, how windy can it get?" I thought. Now I know. Extremely windy. Every day. I am so tired of it already and spring officially started only a few days ago. Get me out of here!

Monday we went camping for 5 days. A much needed break. I was really worried about fitting in all my training but when I woke up early Monday morning to fit in one last hard run, I discovered I had pink eye and did not feel great. I dragged myself to the gym anyway and just played around for a couple of hours.

The whole week I felt completely unmotivated to train. Shock! Me? Lack of motivation? Something must be seriously wrong. Usually, even when I am sick, I want to train. So, guess what I did? I took it easy. The entire week. I did work out for a couple of hours each day but super easy. Wednesday I went for a trail run and must have hiked for at least half of it. And I did not even feel bad! Gasp! I just enjoyed being with my family and relaxing. (As relaxing as camping with 2 wild boys can get.)

This last week has been so much better. I am back to my normal hyper-motivated self and have been able to nail some good training sessions. I really don't feel like I lost any fitness. I am not sure if I was really that sick or if I just needed a break. I like to think that I never need a break but (maybe) (sometimes) I do.

Do you?




Comments

Nate + Carlee said…
I do like a break every now and then for sure, but this six week break I have coming up is going to kill me. I'm pretty sure I won't make it. Maybe I SHOULD do the Salem tri...I just have to say that I LOVE reading this blog. You are such a motivator and inspiration to me! I also blame you for all of the money I have spent on triathlon =)...you didn't tell me it was so much fun! I am glad yo hear that you took a break though, you can't be iron woman EVERY day! Have fun with Jen next week. If our kids got a long better I would come visit sometime...maybe next year? Miss you!

P.S. Your post about the master's swim class cracked me up. I just looker for "the dork that didn't take her goggles off," and there you were! Cracked me up!

Sorry this is so long. Maybe I should just e-mail or call you next time like a good friend, right?
Leslie said…
Yes. And you do too occasionally - shock! :) Glad you were able to climb out of that funk. Now what about your SG week post? Did you really not have any fun with me down there? ;)
Erin Swenson said…
:D I love you Sarah! You always tell it like it really is, it's the best! Even superman needs a break I'm sure, and to me, YOU are superman (but female).

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec