Skip to main content

I don't need easy...



Since nobody wants to read (or write) another post about how I am losing it over here, I figured I would just give you my motto for this week:

I don't need easy.
I just need possible.

As you may know, this is a quote by Bethany Hamilton in the movie Soul Surfer. I admire that girl. What an inspiration!

It certainly has not been easy without KJ as my companion. 7 days down. 11 more to go. So far so good. The boys and I have had our ups and downs but, I am happy to report, we are safe and (mostly) sound. I am able to squeeze in the training and have logged almost 16 hours this week so far. With another 3 tomorrow, I should be fine.

Remember? Training to me is therapy. If my life is out of order, chaotic and hectic, I love getting on the spin bike and staring at the wall for 2 hours. Time to think. Time to refocus. Time to enjoy being in control of at least one thing: this workout. A run in the snow under bright blue skies in 25 degrees does the trick as well. Or a hardcore swim workout in honor of Coach Liz's 50th birthday... Oh. Wait. I missed that one! I was dealing with grumpy kids who had woken up at 5:30 am and did not understand why I was not about to happily play Lego with them! If they wake up early tomorrow morning, I am going to drag them to the pool with me. Two bedheads in their pajamas, blankets, stuffed animals, breakfast, portable DVD player, Mighty Machines. It's all ready to go! We should be good...

I will do whatever it takes to get in the training I need. However, my family is my #1 priority. When the kids are not in (pre) school, I try to spend quality time with them. So far so good. No sitters yet. Max has only been to the daycare at the gym twice, Noah not at all. I was able to line up a play date for each of them today after school, so I could head over to the pool during lunch lap swim hours. The kids had a blast! Me? Not so much. I don't think my swim was even worth the $4 I paid to get in...

It might not be easy but it is definitely possible.


PS: If you want to know how Karl is doing on the other side of the world, you can read about it here.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Freedom Run

I decided to celebrate my freedom by running the Freedom Run 10k . Not exactly my favorite kind of race but definitely one to make me feel alive and happy . For this girl endorphins = happiness . I know. I know. It's not everlasting happiness. But I will take it. The more happiness, the better . Right? My motto for this race: "A lot of people race to see who is fastest . ` I race to see who has the most guts ." -Steve Prefontaine It's time for me to show some guts in racing and training. Time to get out of the grey zone and push myself hard. Time to really hurt and put it all on the line. I wanted to run sub 40 minutes. That is a 6:25 pace. That is fast for me. The plan was to start out fast and try to hold it. If I was going to die at the end, so be it. Fortunately, I had some great company for the Sufferfest . It went something like this: I convinced Jen . Jen convinced Carlee . Carlee convinced Heather . Here we are ready to race We also have matchi