Skip to main content

St. George Training Camp


husband, me, coach

My top two favorite things in the world? 

Training Camp
and
Family Vacation*

So this year, due to lack of other possibilities, I decided to combine the two! In one of my favorite spots on earth: St. George! Then I quickly invited the in-laws along and... voila! Best week ever!
I am a genius

 * In that order...

at the top of Snow Canyon

A few days ago I started a nice and detailed report of my week of fun. But, seeing how I am still in the midst of my March Madness, I am discarding that one and will just give you the highlights! The detailed one might have put you to sleep anyway... 

** Oxygen! **
St. George is 4,000ft lower than Flagstaff and, boy, does it ever make a difference!

** No wind on the bike! **
At least not compared to Flagstaff... My speed during easy spins here (almost) equaled my speed for hard rides back home!

Coleen and I

** Hill repeats on the bike with Colleen! **
I love (great) training partners. But I also realized that the reason I don't have many of those is because I am super non-flexible when it comes to my workouts. It's either my way or the highway! 

** Scenery and weather **
St. George is one of my favorite places to train because I know the area, it is stunningly beautiful, and we rode in sleeveless jerseys all week! 

the guys post-ride

** Coachie came to visit! **
I am pretty sure Coach M sent Heath down to check on me and make sure I am telling her the truth about my training. It is always a party when HT is around. Hanging out with him and Colleen is so much fun that I never want to leave...

this guy never puts his phone down

** Looking at a video of my swim **
Oh wait! That was most definitely a lowlight. How can I be thinking I am doing one thing when, in reality, I am doing the exact opposite? Ugh! 

** Smashfest on the track! **
The track session was a surprise. Provided by Coach M and executed by HT. We all know what that means... While everybody else got to do 800m repeats, I was the only one stuck with mile repeats. Why? No clue. But Coach M knows best and so you shut up and do what she says. Luckily, HT joined me for some of them. I did not nail all of them but I did nail the bonus one that Coachie announced after we thought we were all done. 6:13! Take that! 

my view during the intervals 

** 80 hilly miles on the bike with Colleen **
It was fun. It was pretty. It was entertaining. It was good times. 
It just was not what Coach ordered. Oops. 

** Bike intervals with KJ **
So instead of a nice long ride the next day, I got to do 10-minute intervals. It was just what I needed. Karl, the husband, came along for the warm-up but then he must've been so intrigued by my speed and good looks that he decided to draft behind me during my intervals. At one point he got bored and started to challenge me. Nothing like a little friendly rivalry! I had a blast and, in case you are wondering, I was able to pull away from KJ during the last interval. We won't mention the fact that he has been on his road bike a total of 2 times in the last 1.5 years... 

HT and Max in the hot tub

** Outdoor swim **
That makes 2 in 7 days. I enjoyed every minute of it. 

** Spectrum 10k** 
Nothing like running a race on very tired legs. Race report to follow...


Can we do this again? Like next week? Everybody involved had a great time! (I think.) Karl, his parents, and the kids went on quite a few adventures and I still got to hang out and swim with them at least once a day! 

Thank you to Karl, Grandma, Grandpa, Colleen, HT training, and TriSports for your support and help! It is very much appreciated! 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm