Skip to main content

Racing Season is here!



My first race is coming up this weekend and I could not be more excited!

Actually, now that I think about it, that's a lie... Or not. I am not sure.

Excuse me. I'd better go do some research on this race.

...

Ok. I am back.

Wow! Aehm. Really? I had no idea. I figured it would be your average duathlon but - turns out - it's not. It goes something like this:

Run: 3.65 miles - mostly on trail/hilly
Bike: 30 miles - includes 3! u-turns
Run: 3.75 miles - all on trail/very hilly

Who knew? I honestly had no idea although I have been signed up for this event for months now. I haven't run on trail since October and I have never been a fan of u-turns!

... 5 days later: 

Ok. This time I am back for real. I have given it some thought and have decided that: Of course I am excited for this race! Hello! It's a race after all and I have not raced since 70.3 Worlds in September. (Except for the St. George Halfmarathon but running races don't really count.) It's about time to start the 2012 racing season party! I would rather start the season off with a triathlon than a duathlon but triathlons are a little hard to come by this early in the season even when one lives in the desert. I have only competed in a handful of run-bike-run events but, as far as I can remember, they hurt much worse than swim-bike-run.

Although the very anxiously anticipated TriFest in Tucson is not until later in March, TriSports sent me an outfit in the mail today and I can now represent my new sponsor properly! Very exciting! Thank you!


Here is my (very tentative and hopefully incomplete) racing schedule for 2012:

March 31st:


April  21st:


May 19th:


June 10th: 


August 4th:



I am stoked! The first highlight is definitely Oceanside 70.3 in just a few weeks! This is the race I have been training for over the last few months and I am very excited! At the end of May, I am taking the kids and my bike* to Germany and I can't wait to be part of the Half-Distance European Championships that will be taking place in my backyard. When I signed up for this race, I had no clue what I was getting myself into** but, as it turns out, this is the biggest half-distance race in Europe and, as of this year, also the Championships! Wow. I can't wait!

*Any advice on how to best get my bike over there is much appreciated. In case anybody has a bike box they want to lend me, let me know...
**Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

I'd better stop here before I bubble over with excitement. Time to get a good night's sleep, and prepare myself the best I can for all these fun events coming up!

Happy Training to Everyone!







Comments

Leslie said…
Man, lots of excitement! That's really great you get to go back to Germany this year. Hope you survive the travel with 2 kids and a bike so you can enjoy that cool race :)
Steph said…
Looks AWESOME! Hope to see you in SG one of these days :)

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf

Freedom Run

I decided to celebrate my freedom by running the Freedom Run 10k . Not exactly my favorite kind of race but definitely one to make me feel alive and happy . For this girl endorphins = happiness . I know. I know. It's not everlasting happiness. But I will take it. The more happiness, the better . Right? My motto for this race: "A lot of people race to see who is fastest . ` I race to see who has the most guts ." -Steve Prefontaine It's time for me to show some guts in racing and training. Time to get out of the grey zone and push myself hard. Time to really hurt and put it all on the line. I wanted to run sub 40 minutes. That is a 6:25 pace. That is fast for me. The plan was to start out fast and try to hold it. If I was going to die at the end, so be it. Fortunately, I had some great company for the Sufferfest . It went something like this: I convinced Jen . Jen convinced Carlee . Carlee convinced Heather . Here we are ready to race We also have matchi