Skip to main content

The Gimpy Leg and The Upcoming Marathon




The good news first:

I am running the St. George Marathon in less than a week! Wow! My first ever marathon! I am sooooooooo excited! I have only run 26.2 miles once before and that was in 2007 as part of the Challenge Roth* triathlon which is all but a complete blur in my mind at this point...

If you asked me about running a marathon at any point before August of this year, my (honest) reply was always the same: I am not interested in running a marathon. At all. Especially not one on the road. And, most certainly, not one that is mostly downhill. 

Looks like I changed my mind!

When a good friend mentioned that his awesome company (Festival Sounds) is sponsoring the marathon and, although the lottery to the race closed ages ago, still has a couple of spots, I couldn't help but jump at the chance! (Almost literally...) Coach M might have been sitting at the same table as me but I wasn't about to ask her for permission. Instead, I yelled: I am in! And that sealed the deal.

Why the change of mind?

  • The race is on my birthday weekend! And there are few things I love more than a birthday smashfest! So far my party plan calls for a 3200m swim on Thursday, a 32-mile bike ride on Friday morning before departure, and 32 miles of running on Saturday. Any guesses how old I will be on October 5th? 
  • The race takes place in one of my favorite places: St. George
  • I get to stay with, hang out with, party with, and run with one of my favorite girls: The one and only Colleen Rue
  • Seeing how this was a rather spontaneous decision that had no effect on my training and recovering plan for before and after Vegas, I didn't have to do any marathon training! Because, to be honest, marathon training scares me... Instead, I've slowly but surely been getting out of shape the last 3 weeks and I don't care one bit. This one is going to be purely for fun and entertainment. I am planning on chatting non-stop from start to finish... 

What else was I going to talk about? Ah, yes. The gimpy leg. Not my favorite topic. I guess the short version of the gimpy-leg-story is as follows: 

Did speed work on the track in the winter. Hurt/injured/pulled my left glute/hamstring/whatever. Eventually it somehow got better but has been an issue ever since. It's also been getting progressively worse over the last 10 months, especially after Oceanside in March, to the point where I can't even tell you for sure what's hurting. Basically the whole leg. But I wasn't willing to take serious time of during this season, so I've dealt with it the best I could and avoided any fast speed work. 

In case you can't tell: I am really good at figuring out this injury. I know exactly what's going on in my body and how to take care of it. Ha! Not! But truth is: This is really the first injury I have had to deal with in a long time. Sure, I've had a niggle here and there but nothing serious in the last, say, 10 years of training and racing. 

Well, Vegas came and went, and it was time for an off-season. I am sad I won't be racing this fall at all but - by now - I am already excited and fired up for next year. Hoping I will be pain-free by then... I started going to a great physical therapist in town, Julie Lemoncello, and we are both rather convinced that the main issue is... hold on, let me get the piece of paper where she wrote it down... insertional hamstring tendinopathy. There you have it. Julie has been great to work with and I am trying to be a very good patient. She knows our financial situation and is trying to keep costs as low as possible, so there will be some money left to sign up for races next season. Hopefully... 

I guess the question is: Is it smart to be running a marathon right now? Heck, no! Of course not! But, as I mentioned earlier, I won't actually be running. It will be more like a slow jog amidst thousands of my best friends! Plus: You only turn 32 once in your life... 


Hope you are enjoying fall as much as I do! Happy training! 



* Challenge Roth race report is here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec