Skip to main content

Quelle Challenge Roth '07


Looks like I am just a little nervous

Yes. I have competed in an iron-distance triathlon.
No. I am not an "Ironman".
And I don't care.
Because the Quelle Challenge Roth in Germany is an amazing and super fun event!

With Ironman St. George in "town" earlier this year and the Quelle Challenge just last Sunday, I have definitely done my share of reminiscing about Roth '07. After realizing that I did not yet have a blog back then, I dug up the email and pictures I sent out after the race.

I wanted to share my race experience with you here. I could not help but make some comments (in yellow).


I don't even know where to start or what to say but I decided to keep
it short. As most of you know, the
preparations went mostly well
(thanks to the many hours of babysitting by Jen, Mandy, Janelle, and
Becky) until a few weeks before the race, when I got sick, the weather
got
bad, and my bike seat was left in Provo. Luckily, on race day the
weather was good, I had my bike seat, and was feeling not quite as
sick. Here is a short race day recap:

3:30 am
I wake up, try to eat as much as I can, try to feel excited for the race


On my way to the swim start

4:30
I wake up Karl, we walk to the swim start, I try to do my usual
routine (body marking, bike check, putting on wet suit, warming up)
while taking a peak at what the pros are doing.




6:10
I go to the start with all the other women (250 out of more than 3000
athletes) and pros, tread water and talk to a woman from DC and one
from Venezuela (she had her bike stolen the day before and is
therefore only competing in the swim), shed some tears. The atmosphere is simply
overwhelming and there are thousands of spectators. I get teary-eyed just thinking about it now. 

6:20
Gun goes off, not as crowded and crazy as I expected. I am swimming

6:40
I am still swimming

7:00
I am done but I am still swimming

7:21
I am really done now, out of the water, and glad to move on. Let's get this party started!



7:24
All the bars I taped onto the bike fall off as I move it. Oops. I stuff
them into my bike shorts and off I go.

7:40
A female pro passes me on the bike. Sweet. I beat her in the swim!

8:00
I get a flat! Shoot! I should NOT have had Karl fix all my flats
lately. I don't even know how to use the CO2 cartridge. I figure it
out and off I am again to try to catch all the women that passed me
while I was just sitting there.



8:30
I have to pee. Dang it!

10:30
I have to pee again. I can't believe I got off the bike twice to pee. No way would I do that now!

11:30
I am done biking but I have at least 2 more hours. Oh man, what was I thinking?


12:30
What? I have to pee again. Three times????? Amateur!

1:21
I am finally done! Yeah! I have never been so
excited to run and NOT still be on the bike. Come on. I could've tried a little harder to beat 6 hours. But chances are I had no bike computer or watch.

1:40
I finally get rid of my fuel belt which weighs at least 20 lbs. and start running (more) like a normal person.

2:30
I get mad at my friends/family because they don't cheer me on the way I want
them to. Where are the Cherry Chubs when you need them? At least being
mad gives me something to do!


Coach Joerg running with me for a second

3:30
I am still creeping along, glad I am not throwing up, having diarrhea,
suffering major cramps or having to walk like the people around me.

4;30
Now I am peeing for the 4th time during the run. What is wrong with me?

5:20
Even if I have to crawl to the finish, I know I am going to make it. I get really emotional.


Almost done!

5:34
I grab Noah from Karl and cross the finish line with him. Yes. This is still allowed at the Quelle Challenge.

5:32
I am a mom again. Noah and I look at fishes in the pond because Karl
can't figure out how to get through to me to get Noah.

Sunday night:
I am
unable to function

Monday:
I am tired overall but HEY, we are on our way to Italy, so who cares?!

Tuesday:
What? I am not sore, what is wrong with me? Just my foot is hurting.

Wednesday:
I go jogging (NOT running) and (except for my foot) feel pretty good. How could I not? I am in the mountains in Italy!

For those who care:

Swim: 1:02
Bike: 6:00
Run: 4:04
Overall:
11:14

The only way I could make this dream of mine come true was with the
help of a lot of people. Thank you so much for your support and help.
It has been amazing!

Well, that is it. Now life is back to normal. Karl and I will both
compete next weekend and I am glad I have an excuse, because I will
probably be really slow.

Good times! I am so glad I did it. I can't wait to do it again. But I think I will have to wait for a few years. One thing I already know is that next time I am going to swim under 1 hour, bike under 6 hours, and run under 4. That's the plan. Oh, and maybe actually have a nutrition plan. I can't believe that I thought I could just wing it. But it worked. Next time I am not taking any chances.

If you ever have the chance to do this race, I highly recommend it!

Comments

Barbie said…
What an absolutely awesome read. I felt like I was going through it step by step with you.
Jamie Pearson said…
When you do an ironman again I want to be there. So you better give me plenty of notice so i can come cheer you on and I'll make Emily come along with me which means Melanie will probably come as well. then the cherry chubbs can be there and cheer you on the right way =)

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf