Skip to main content

Rising Tide Triathlon Coaching - 10 Day Challenge



I have known Sonja Wieck for a while now (and followed her awesome blog for way longer than that), so when she started to go from being a (well-known and respected) coach to building an all-inclusive coaching business, I payed close attention because this girl doesn't do anything half-assedly. She put out a 10-day challenge at the beginning of December for her athletes and anybody interested and I jumped right at it because - I am always up for a challenge and this seemed like the perfect one for the off-season. 

Here is how it went: 


Day 1 - Set Your Intention 


I know what I want in 2016. I want more courage. I may seem courageous in some ways but don't be fooled. I've been reading Brene Brown's book "Daring Greatly" and I have learned so much. But I have yet to truly apply it. 2016 is about getting out of my comfort zone, facing my personal demons, and having the courage to live the life I really want. This has little to do with my athletic performance and everything to do with the personal relationships in my life. 



Day 2 - Rally The Troops



Karen. Total rock star. Best training partner and friend I've ever had. We play, train, cry, laugh, sing, and have fun together. And we talk. A lot and really loudly. They call us Thelma and Louise for a reason. Now we live ten hours apart and, although it breaks my heart, I know we are friends for life. Thank you, Karen, for all of the good times. They mean the world to me. And for giving me the COURAGE to want to be great.



Day 3 - Functional Playlist

To feel courageous:

Confident - Demi Lovato
Burn It Down - Linkin Park
Girl on Fire - Alicia Keys

To get excited:

Best Day of My Life - American Authors
Ex’s & Oh’s - Elle King
Proxy - Martin Garrix

This is a work in progress. And, yes, I have rather bad taste when it comes to workout music. But so what? Whatever gets me going! You don't even want to know what's been on my iPod for over a decade. Let's just say that I am German and Germans like their Techno music... 


Day 4 - A Touch of Magic 



Petey. He is with me during all of my bike rides and races in the form of a sticker on my handle bars. Why? Because he stands for all of the Saturday group rides where I courageously showed up at Pay'n Take - sometimes the only girl - and rode with the big boys. Sometimes I hung tough, sometimes I got dropped. Always gained a little more strength and respect. They are my friends, my training partners, my inspiration, and my support.


Day 5 - Meaningful Mantra 


Magic happens outside of your comfort zone.

That is going to by mantra for 2016. I actually fell in love with this quote a couple of years ago because it is something I struggle with. I love my little comfort zone. There is even room for a pain cave in there. As long as I don't need to step out of it. I have made some progress but just not enough. I get close to the edge of my comfort zone sometimes but I really struggle to leave it completely. In 2016 I will be courageous enough to see what's on the other side of the line. Can't wait to find the Magic!



Day 6 - Productive Pep Talk 


Hey Sarah, 

I know you feel safe in your comfort zone and unsure of what will happen when you step out of it. You believe and have confidence but not quite enough. Not yet. You want to know! 

Your goal is to take a big step outside of your comfort zone and see what will happen. You know that there is magic outside of that safe space. And in order to find the magic you will have to let go of your fears. Failing is ok. Failing doesn’t make you a failure. Failing will show you how to get to where you want to be. 

You have an amazing support system. Family, coaches, friends, training partners. You don’t have to prove anything to them. They will be there no matter what. Use them! Call them when you need them. 

By doing this you will gain the confidence and knowledge that you need to reach your goals. And you will KNOW what you are capable of. So, please, do me a favor and just go for it! You really have nothing to lose. Plus, it’s going to be FUN! Even if it doesn’t seem like it. But you know your kind of fun and this is it! 

Come on, Sarah, I know you can do this! 


Day 7 - Wake up that Brain


I got VICTORY POSE and I've got this one down! I mean, what else am I supposed to be doing with my arms when I am excited and happy to be alive? 


Day 8 - Tapping into your Senses 


It took me a while to figure out what smell I want to associate with being brave and courageous. One that I have access to at any time. And then hit me: The On Guard doTERRA essential oil. I love the smell. It's the perfect blend for me. I used it every day leading into Ironman Arizona and never got sick (which happens to me quite a bit when tapering) Knowing that I have this little extra protection will make it a bit easier to push boundaries and take some risks.



Day 9 - Pulling Things Together 

Well, looks like I finally got around to this one by putting it all on here! :) 




Day 10 - Celebrate! 

Nothing like a little online celebration party


I am really looking forward to drawing upon this over the next year! Huge Thanks to Sonja and the RTTC team for a great 10 days! 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec