Skip to main content

Race Report: VINEMAN FULL 2014


(Huge thanks to the very talented and kind Jeff Kapic and Larry Rosa for the wonderful pictures of this unforgettable day!)



I had heard so many great things about this race that it was definitely on my bucket list! And I figured this was a good year to give it a try. I can still only afford to go to races that are within (reasonable) driving distance and this is one of them! Since it's more reasonably priced than Ironman brand events, I was able to talk a few friends into it as well. All of which, unfortunately, had to bail except for Karen. That said, I was rather close to bailing out myself. 

Training over in Germany hadn't gone nearly as well as I would've liked. I had two great races, Luxembourg 70.3 and Kraichgau 70.3, but then things went downhill for various reasons. In the end, I just decided that our short time with family was more important than ideal training for my upcoming races. Yes, I consider 5 weeks every other year 'short'. And so does the Borst clan back home, so while this wasn't the most professional decision, it was the only right one. It made me nervous but I simply chose not to put a lot of pressure on myself. And, seeing how I am just getting (back) into the long distance stuff after only two previous 140.6 races (after Roth in 2007 and HITS Lake Havasu Full in 2013), I didn't feel much outside pressure either. There are two more Ironman planned for this year, so this would be a good tune-up race to see where I am at. NO EXCUSES - GAME ON! 

The days leading up to the race were a bit chaotic. The kids and I flew from Frankfurt to Vegas on Wednesday. Karl met us in Vegas, we spent a night in a hotel, and then he took the kids on a camping trip and from there to see his family in Utah. Karen picked me up in Vegas and I spent a few days at home in Flagstaff getting ready to race and trying to refrain from last-minute-panic-training. I had one really good long ride over the weekend that was probably too close to race day but somewhat put my mind at ease and proved that I was in decent shape. 

Pre-riding and falling in love with the bike course!

Then Karen and I (also known as Thelma and Louise) took off on our Vineman adventure! I am pretty picky when it comes to whom I want to go on long road trips with and who I want to have around before a big race. Karen is at the top of my list for both. I just love that girl! Her brother came up from the Bay Area to support his little sister which made race day logistics so much easier! Thank you, Fred! 

T1 adjacent to the Russian River on race morning

Race Morning

Highlight - Having Karen with me! I love having a good friend racing with me. One like Karen that I am totally comfortable being quiet, nervous, crazy, calm, excited, and goofy with! You go through a LOT of emotions on race morning, that's for sure! It was also shaping up to be a HOT day which means a warm morning with no fog or marine layer and you know how much I love those!  

Meh - Not a fan of the logistics of a race with two separate transitions. And all of the STUFF that a race of this length requires. I like it simple but I have yet to nail simplicity when racing 140.6 miles. 

Swimming up and then down the Russian river. Twice. 


The Swim 

Highlight - Being in a group! I was so thrilled to find myself surrounded by a few others that seemed to be going at a good pace that I decided to stick with them no matter what. I was also fairly certain that Whitney Garcia (past winner and course record holder) was in our little group. I have no idea how I knew because I had never met her before but I trusted my gut feeling and it was right. She ended up taking a better line to the finish but I was right on her heels going into T1. One other girl was a ahead of us, so we were 2nd and 3rd out of the water. 



Meh - The water level. It was super low. So low that we could've easily walked at least half of the swim. At the far end of the two loop course, my hands kept pulling the gravel at the bottom of the river. It wasn't too big of an issue but certainly didn't make for a fast swim. Water temperature was perfect though! 

Ready to get out of the water and onto my bike! 


T1 was pleasantly uneventful and I managed to get out on my bike ahead of Whitney. It didn't last long though for her to catch me again. But I was determined not to let her out of my sight. I knew just enough about her to feel confident that I could bike with her. 




The Bike 

Highlights - The course itself! I am in love with its hills and vineyards and gorgeous countryside! It's a bit quiet out there as spectators are scarce and the roads are rather rough but, honestly, I had a blast! During the first loop, I mostly rode behind Whitney (legally, of course). I tried to go in front a few times but she didn't seem to like that and passed me right back each time. Well then, I figured, go right ahead. I am just fine back here. I don't have a lot of experience with riding 112 miles and running a marathon afterwards, so I figured I would just follow her lead. Until special needs where she stopped and I didn't. I rode in the lead for the second loop and was hoping to open up a bit of a gap knowing Whitney is a very strong runner. Overall the entire bike was a highlight and I was feeling fairly strong. Yay for salty balls and Osmo hydration as it was getting hot out there! 


Meh - Well, no matter how you look at it, 112 miles in the saddle is going to get a bit uncomfortable at some point. But that's about all! I was happy to get off my bike but also a bit apprehensive about that marathon. 





Coming into T2 in the lead hearing my name over the loud speaker is always fun. Not something that happens very often at big races! Apparently, I had about a 5-minute lead which I wasn't going to give up without a fight. So ready or not, here I run! 




The Run 

Highlights - My lead biker! She was the best. I know that we can't talk to them and they need to keep their distance but we managed to have quite a bit of fun anyway - on the first of three loops at least - and I was so glad she was there for me! 

Still having fun! 

And eventually Karen and I found each other again. We cheered and smiled and hollered. That's the beauty of a multi-loop course. I don't mind crowded aid stations, I love company out there! The more, the better. The camaraderie out on the run course is one of my favorite things about this sport! 


Pushing through some rough patches. 

Meh - And then the going got tough. It always does at some point. For me that point came after 2 laps. Whitney was catching me slowly but surely and I was suffering some bad stomach issues. 3 bathroom stops later and I had lost my lead. By now it wasn't really a fight between Whitney and me anymore, it was only a fight between my body and my mind/heart. With my Coeur kit comes an extra dose of heart and courage and I really needed it today! I stayed tough and finished in 2nd place with nothing left in the tank. 





Karen - super star extraordinaire - absolutely rocked her first 140.6 race! She won her age group by a HUGE margin and I am just so proud of her and thrilled to have experienced it first-hand! I have so much respect and love for that speedy lady! 

A HUGE thank you to the Vineman team for putting on an excellent race. You guys certainly exceeded my expectations and I am planning on coming back next year to do this all over again! I highly recommend this race to any and all of you! 



And also Thank You to my fantastic sponsors:


Coeur Sports - The BEST in women's athletic wear

 T3 Triathlon - My FAVORITE triathlon shop

Fuji Bikes - In LOVE with my Norcom Straight

Zoot Shoes - My shoes of choice since 2008

Cobb Saddles - Most COMFORTABLE saddle ever

Osmo Nutrition - Hydration at its BEST

Tifosi Sunglasses - I wear them every single day! 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

Swimming in Germany - Lakes Galore

Baggersee Weingarten Let's see.... I've been in Germany now for 4 weeks and have had the privilege to swim in 5 different lakes. Let me count how many times I have swum in a lake in Arizona since moving there 2 years ago... That would be 1 time in Lake Mary during the MountainMan. And I am not planning on swimming in it again until this year's MountainMan. As you might have already guessed:  I am in heaven !  Baggersee Weingarten So are the kids. Appropriately dressed in German swim wear.  That's my mom next to me in the picture above. You see where I get it... Growing up we would either go on a hike or bike ride every weekend and take a dip in various lakes along the way. Good memories!  My niece Lynn at Bad Waldsee This lake was especially fun. It was basically at the center of a beautiful old little town. I saw people walk out their front door and go for a little swim. No motorized anything allowed as on most lakes here. Platf

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec