Skip to main content

A pretty normal Thursday


All Thursdays are pretty similar but this week was especially awesome. Here is why:

5:00
Wake up exhausted. Wondering how on earth I am going to survive this day.

5:45-7:00
Masters Swimming. I have been going 3 days a week in preparation for the 1.8 mile island-to-shore swim at the Scofield Triathlon. I am not sure if it's making me stronger or just really tired. Or both.

7:20
I almost fall asleep driving home.

9:30
I finally drag the (clothed, fed, almost clean) kids, a dozen bags, and my bike out the door and over to Jen's house. How I can possibly sneak in a little recovery time while watching 4 kids (ages 4 and under)?

10:00
Our wonderful friend Mandy shows up (rather unexpectedly) with her 3 cute kids. They are visiting from CA and choose to spend the day with us! Hooray! The more kids, the merrier. Mandy and I get to (almost) have a conversation while setting up a slip'n'slide, putting 7 kids in their swim suits, rubbing in sunscreen, re-re-refilling sippy cups, handing out snacks, and keeping baby Julia from getting smashed.

12:30
Jen is back! I gather myself in the bathroom for a minute before changing. Wondering where I am going go get the energy for today's workout? Maybe I should just bag it and join Mandy on her trip to the outdoor pool for some easy lap swimming...

1:30
I am finally on my bike. Not feeling quite as bad as I thought.I once again realize that (almost) everything is mental!

On the plan for today:3

Squaw Peak. Once. Fast.
Southfork. Twice. Fast. Then faster.

Bring on the fun! Squaw Peak actually does not feel too bad. I don't push it hard until the top and end up with a decent time. Southfork is a different story. I am thinking I am going at a pretty good pace. Well, I am not. The time is really slow. The headwind is not helping either.

How am I supposed to do another one going all out?

Coach to the rescue! I run into Heath on my way down. He turns around with me and pushes me up the canyon once more. Have I mentioned that I love having a coach? Because I do!

4:30
Done! Eating one of Jen's yummy salads and downing my recovery drink. Gathering up our (bazillion) belongings and trying to convince our kids that 7 hours at Jen's house is enough!

5:30
Heading over to Utah Lake. I have not swum in Utah Lake Soup for a really long time but how can I turn down an open water swim with Ueberswimmer Heath? Karl meets us at Lindon Beach and plays with the kids while I am excited to jump into the waves. Due to heavy winds, the waves are actually quite high. I am trying to imagine I am swimming in the ocean but apart from the waves, Utah Lake and the ocean have absolutely nothing in common. I decide to do a triathlon with an ocean swim in the future. I don't mind the waves at all!

Props to Scott Wilson who braves the waves in only his third open water swim! Way to go!

8:00
I somehow come up with enough energy to put my kids to bed.

9:30
I pass out. Sleeping trouble is a foreign word to me.


Thanks to Jen, Mandy, Karl, Heath, and all the kids for such a great day!


Comments

Barbie said…
It was a great day. You accomplished so much even though you were very tired. Great job.
Leslie said…
Awesome Sarah! Great workouts! Although I don't know what all the hill work is for, Scofield is nice and flat you know.....and the swim, it's downstream..... ;)

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Racing Season '09 Second Part

Disclaimer: This post has been driving me crazy. It is too late, too long, too braggy, and boring. But it is what it is and I had to do it in order to move on. So bear with me... Before reporting about my first race of this season, I need to wrap up last season. I started this post in December and it has been waiting to be published ever since. Well, all I really did then was upload the pictures. I figure that whatever memories of each race have stuck with me this long, might be the only ones worth mentioning anyway. Really what I should have done is analyze each race in detail, look at the training, nutrition, times, etc. But how much fun would that be? I will save that for when I am a Pro. Haha. If you want to know what happened before June, go here . Provo Triathlon in June Lowlights : Swimming in Utah Lake Not being able to find the Finish Line Highlights : Beating all the guys to their bikes Biking the first loop ahead of all the men Beating all the women to the finish line Ec