Skip to main content

2 more days...



... until the ULTOT!

I am really looking forward to an epic Saturday where we are going to cover a total of 7,250 vertical feet. 2,800 of those on the bike and the other 4,450 we get to tackle by foot.


The acronym stands for

Utah Lake to the Top Of Timp




Timp is short for Mount Timpanogos* which is Utah Valley's highest peak at 11,750 feet. I am not a big fan of numbers but this time I wanted to know what's in store for us...


On Saturday, we get to dive in Utah lake at 6 am and swim a mile. Then we jump on our bikes, ride to the canyon, and climb the Alpine loop up to Timpooneke trailhead. We put on our running shoes and up, up, up we run/walk/creep to the top! That is the plan, at least.


It gets even better. This is not a race. Just a fun adventure put on by the Timp Tri Club. And, my favorite training buddy, Jen, is going to come with us! This might be our last epic training day together for a while. I am really excited to spend some quality time with her in the mountains.



In case you are thinking: "Poor Karl! Gets to watch the kids all day while his wife goes off and plays." No need to worry. He is going to have his own epic adventure up at Snowbird where he will be competing in Karl Meltzer's Speedgoat 50k.



I don't know all the details but it is basically an absolutely insane mountain run with crazy elevation change. Oh, and our kids will be safe and sound with Grandma and Grandpa.


Have a great weekend!



*Noah and Max love this mountain. Noah keeps asking if it's the highest mountain in the world. Max sees any mountain and gets really excited: "Nogas! Nogas!"




Comments

Barbie said…
Sounds terribly hard but heaps of fun. Take lots of pics and take care.
JessWilson said…
Hope you and Jen have a great time!! Can't wait to see the pictures. :)

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju...

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm...

Oceanside 70.3 Race Report

(Grab a chair and get comfy, cause this might be kinda long.)  Left Thursday morning with my questionable travel companion , Nate, who turned out to be awesome. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with a nice guy who is a Coach, about to turn Pro, happens to have worked as a bike mechanic, and likes things low-key before a race? Score !  I was super excited to see my friend, Carlee , as soon as we got to the hotel. She provided plenty of entertainment! Both nights I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had to force myself not to look at her or I would bust up laughing (again) for no apparent reason. She is that cool and funny !  I was super duper excited to see the ocean ! I had not been in a few years and it was my first visit to Oceanside. I had been envisioning myself in a beautiful beach town bathing in warmth and sunshine all winter long. This was going to be the reward for many treadmill runs, trainer rides, and bricks in freezing temperat...