Skip to main content

Kida Relay

Last weekend it was finally time for the Kida relay. I had been looking forward to to this race for a while and was very excited to be on a team with three triathlon studs: Leslie Howlett, Jameson King, and Ian Nelson. We were hoping to be able to win the co-ed division but secretly (or not so secretly, actually), the boys were wishing to beat the male teams, as well.

this race had me smiling all day
(but not all night)

This is how the relay works:

8am-8pm: we take turns biking a 25-mile loop
8pm-8am: we take turns running a 6-mile loop

The teams get points for each loop. The faster, the more points. Makes sense?

Jameson started out and pulled all the other teams around West Mountain. Then it was Ian's turn. Here he is handing me the "baton", which is really a slap stick.

I ride around the mountain. Come back.

Leslie's turn

We were able to do 10 loops in 12 hours. Not bad. No teams managed to get more. Props to Ian and Jameson who did 3 laps each. They were amazingly fast! Even at the end when it got really windy. When Leslie and I were not racing, we felt like we were on "vacation". Time to stretch, eat, relax, chat, and meet new people. It was a nice break from chasing kids around in between workouts.

We also did plenty of cheering

Our friends, Heath and Mahagoni, put this race on in order to raise money for Kids on the Move, a local non-profit agency for developmentally delayed children. They named the race after their daughter, Kida, who was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy at 18 months. Unfortunately, I only caught the end of the kids' run because I was out on the bike. It was very impressive and inspiring to see little kids race in their wheel chairs and/or be pushed by siblings.

By the time we were ready to run, the strong breeze had turned into a little tornado. Nice. I was our first runner and was ready to go ... for about 3 minutes. That is when I started to feel stomach sick. Just like in the Buffalo Run. Maybe worse. I took it somewhat easy and managed to make it back. I am not sure how everyone else did because I spent the next three hours either in the bathroom or in the fetal position. Luckily not at the same time...

I was seriously questioning my ability to run another lap but I was not about the let my team down. Time to suck it up. At the same time I did not want to kill myself seeing how I have three more races coming up in the next few weeks. Problem.

Well, at 10:30 I got ready for another loop and tried to make one last trip to the bathroom. By now the tornado was anything but little and I pretty much got blown over on my way. All the tents were gone and Heath, the race director, had a hard time keeping the race equipment together and working. He told us to go hibernate for another hour to see if maybe the wind would calm down and we all disappeared.

We were fortunate to be able to "sleep" in the PowerTri trailer instead of a tent but it was so noisy in there that sleep was hard to find.

By 3 am I decided I was done. We figured the race was done. I packed up my stuff, drove home, and went to bed. Lovely.

I felt sad and relieved at the same time. I honestly don't know if my body could have handled another 30 km of running throughout the night. So mother nature came to my help. At the same time, I would have loved to feel decent and see how everything unfolds. Maybe I will come up from Flagstaff for next year's race.

Heath, Mahagoni, and Jarom Thurston did a great job putting on this race. Thank you so much! I am looking forward to the post-race BBQ on Friday.

PS: The next day Karl ran a smashing 4:20 at the Timpanogos Trail Marathon and took 3rd overall! Congratulations, Karl! We are so happy for you!


Telitaadams said…
So sticking awesome, Sarah!

Popular posts from this blog


Can we move here already?  I love this place. 
I raced again. After a 10-month hiatus from racing due to injury, I stepped up to the starting line of the St. George Half Marathon curious to see what my body and mind had to give. Usually running 13.1 miles isn't a big deal for me but after being sidelined for so long and missing the entire 2016 season (except Oceanside which I probably should've missed), I've had a lot of questions swirling around in my head regarding this year: What will it take to be truly healthy? Will I ever be fit again? Can my body handle racing in 2017? Do I still want to race? What if my competitive fire is gone? Am I ready for a possible setback? What if I fail again? I know failing doesn't make me a failure. But what about repeatedly failing? Does that make me a failure? Most of these questions I won't have an answer to until I give it a try. Even then some might go unanswered and that's ok. Probably the one I have asked myself the mos…

RTTC - Sonja Wieck - New Coach!

I've known Sonja Wieck for a while. Scratch that. She has known me for a while. I have known (about) her for years. Can't remember how I found her blog but I did and couldn't stop reading. Not (only) because she has been at the very top of our age group for years and I wanted to find out her secrets to being fast and successful but because she has such good insights into all aspects of life and can express my exact feelings better than I can myself at times! We have had some good battles out there on race day and, whenever she is spectating a race that I am competing in, I breathe a sigh of relief: Someone out there is going to know JUST what I will need to hear! So, yes, I love that girl! 

I caught glimpses of her building this coaching business and I knew that it was going to be good. Really good. Sonja doesn't do things half-heartedly. When she is in. She is ALL IN. I was happy with my coach - Liz Waterstraat/Multipart Mastery - in 2016 and was planning on continui…

Oregon - The Consolation Trip

frolicking on the beach 

I had been really excited for my trip to Ironman Texas and once it became clear that racing (and training) was not an option for the near future, I began to make other plans. Karl and I made an arrangement after we realized that we will be at his parents for longer than originally hoped for: I would get to go on a little trip once a month. Or maybe I just told him that's what I was going to do. Can't remember. Knowing myself and how much not being able to train affects my mental health, I was keen to take a break from doctor visits and physical therapy appointments here and there to do the things that make me feel alive and bring me joy.

As soon as Texas was off the table, I called my good friend Anne and booked a flight to Portland. I had been wanting to visit her for so long but money and time away from home is usually allocated to racing. Might as well make the best of a shitty racing season!

So at the end of May I took the train to Salt Lake, the t…