Skip to main content

Biking with the Big Boys


(I really only love the gym in bad weather. Or when I need a safe place for my little tag-along(s). Which is quite frequent these days. Not having Jen or Grandma/Grandpa around can sure be a challenge. But, no worries, I will always find a way to sneak in my workouts.)

In my book, nothing beats biking outside in sunny, warm weather with a great group of athletes. And who would have thought that I would have the chance to do just that at 7,000 feet in mid-December??? I was thrilled.

Rewind a few weeks.

I had heard about the group ride leaving Saturday morning and riding about 60 miles. But I had also heard that they are fast, cyclists, and mostly guys. I had no desire to show up as a female triathlete on a TT bike. I'd rather ride by myself.

Then Karl turned my old TT bike into a road bike. A day later I was ready to (try to) roll with the Big Boys. It went just like I had expected. A bunch of stuck-up cyclists wearing the latest gear on the nicest bikes. Of course, the ones that will actually talk to me turn out (more or less) nice but we all know how cyclists feel about triathletes. In general. And I am ok with that. It just makes me smile. Cycling has so much etiquette and so many rules, I can't keep it all straight. Although I have been well educated by the Germans, believe me.

Of course I got dropped but not until after the half-way point. Nor was I the only one. So I rode home with a couple of other guys. Have I mentioned that I was the only girl? Well, I was.

The second time I rode with the Big Boys, 2 other girls showed up! I was stoked. Unfortunately, Michelle (who I also swim with) got a flat early on and was out before I even had a chance to talk to her. Bummer. The other girl must have turned around at some point, because when we got to the turn-around, she was no where to be found. Double bummer. I got dropped again and ended up cruising home with a 65-year-old long-haired dude. It was awesome. Good times.

Last Saturday we had a huge group. Something like 24 people! I am not sure I have ever ridden in a group that large. I loved it! It never lasts long, though. People get dropped as soon as we get out of town but I had high hopes. 4 other girls! I actually managed to talk to some of them. Wow. Imagine that! I was also feeling better than I had the previous few weeks. I think my strength is slowly coming back after the break, and I am liking it! Bring it on! I still got dropped but a little later than usual. So did Alex and we rode a nice pace back into town. Definitely my favorite thing to do on a Saturday morning. (After a nice early morning swim, I might add.)

I have a plan. Some Saturday in the spring when Coach gives me the green light (or not) and I am feeling fit, I am going to hang with the Big Boys. I am just going to hang on for dear life and not let them drop me. I will take my cell phone with me, so Karl can pick me up in case I fall off the bike. I am already looking forward to that day!

Happy Winter Cycling!




Comments

Leslie said…
Go get em Sarah! I've always wanted to do that, just absolutely hang with a hard pace as long as I can and see how long that is, and then prepare to feel like death :)
jAmiE Hubbard said…
That's awesome!! So jealous that you get to ride outside in warmer whether than here, but very happy for you at the same time. Live it up!

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm

Freedom Run

I decided to celebrate my freedom by running the Freedom Run 10k . Not exactly my favorite kind of race but definitely one to make me feel alive and happy . For this girl endorphins = happiness . I know. I know. It's not everlasting happiness. But I will take it. The more happiness, the better . Right? My motto for this race: "A lot of people race to see who is fastest . ` I race to see who has the most guts ." -Steve Prefontaine It's time for me to show some guts in racing and training. Time to get out of the grey zone and push myself hard. Time to really hurt and put it all on the line. I wanted to run sub 40 minutes. That is a 6:25 pace. That is fast for me. The plan was to start out fast and try to hold it. If I was going to die at the end, so be it. Fortunately, I had some great company for the Sufferfest . It went something like this: I convinced Jen . Jen convinced Carlee . Carlee convinced Heather . Here we are ready to race We also have matchi