Skip to main content

Alpine Loop - Family Bonding



Sorry. No time for a race report. Bags are packed and I have 5 minutes until we are off to race #3 in 3 weeks. That is definitely not enough time to tell you about my Boise race.

I have had plenty of fun this week. Lots of family time. 2 trail runs in Rock Canyon. Wednesday was the perfect day to ride the Alpine Loop. Warm, sunny, absolutely beautiful, great company, and - the best part - it is still closed to traffic!

I had already recruited my good friends Leslie and Jen for the ride when my nephew told me that he was doing a century ride in a few weeks. So I invited him along as well. The more, the merrier. Colin recently returned from his mission in Korea and I have definitely not spent enough (or any, really) quality time with him. Of course, I had to make fun of his baggy basketball shorts. (He claims that he wore bike shorts underneath.) But other than that we had some great family bonding. Thanks for tagging along with your old aunt* and her lady friends, Colin!


Alright. I am out of here. Time for a girls weekend with a little race thrown in there!


* I can't really get over the fact that I have a 22-year-old nephew. That makes me ancient!






Comments

Jamie Pearson said…
Whatever Sarah you are not ancient. Hope your race went well can't wait to hear all about it

Popular posts from this blog

New PR at a High Cost

St. George Halfmarathon Report I have a feeling that this is going to be long . Even though I am going to tell you about the rest of the weekend in my next post. So. Sit back and enjoy, if you are interested. A few days before the race, I told Karl that I have two options : 1. Run the way I usually race. Conservative . Start out at a decent pace, log negative splits, finish feeling strong and in control. 2. Start out faster than usual, hang onto that pace for as long as possible, die a slow and painful death. Karl just laughed . He knew how unlikely it was that I would choose the second option. But, to be honest, the idea kinda grew on me. It was a running event, after all. No pressure. Simply a way of testing where my fitness is at. On my way to St. George, I called Coach M . She told me I was going to choose the second option. Oh, how I love to have coaches! No need to try to figure things out in my own little head. I just ask and do as I am told. There was ju...

I am so lucky

I feel the need to write. My thoughts are all jumbled. Can I make sense of them on paper? Writin g gives me perspective and makes it easier to let go. Last weekend I was very frustrated, mad, self-centered, unhappy , wallowing in self-pity. This weekend I was more balanced, a little more patient, trying to be less selfish, happy . How did it happen? I have had to deal with myself for almost 30 years now and, luckily, have figured out a few things on the way. Like how to feel at peace with myself , my family , my life . It shouldn't be complicated to be happy in my circumstances. I realize that. But sometimes it still is. Sometimes being a mom and wife doesn't come easy to me. Sometimes I think everyone would be better off if I wasn't a mom and wife. Sometimes I wish it was easier to just take off and do nothing but swimbikeruneatsleep for a week or two. It's not helping that my German teammates are doing just that. Right now. On a beautiful island. In the warm...

Oceanside 70.3 Race Report

(Grab a chair and get comfy, cause this might be kinda long.)  Left Thursday morning with my questionable travel companion , Nate, who turned out to be awesome. Who wouldn't want to go on a road trip with a nice guy who is a Coach, about to turn Pro, happens to have worked as a bike mechanic, and likes things low-key before a race? Score !  I was super excited to see my friend, Carlee , as soon as we got to the hotel. She provided plenty of entertainment! Both nights I went to sleep with a smile on my face and had to force myself not to look at her or I would bust up laughing (again) for no apparent reason. She is that cool and funny !  I was super duper excited to see the ocean ! I had not been in a few years and it was my first visit to Oceanside. I had been envisioning myself in a beautiful beach town bathing in warmth and sunshine all winter long. This was going to be the reward for many treadmill runs, trainer rides, and bricks in freezing temperat...