Skip to main content

Hang On or Bust!

Saturday was another great off-season training day:

I have not had a chance to go on the Pay'nTake group ride for a few months. I am usually out on the roads by myself trying to stick to the plan. Not today. Today my motto was:

Hang On or Bust!

Usually half of the group is dropped by the time the fast guys get to mile 25. I have been able to (more or less) hang with them until mile 35 but never longer than that. That was going to change today. At least I was going to try. Try my hardest and hang on to the wheel in front of me with all I've got. That was my idea of fun today! If I ride with them at all during the season, I am either too tired by the time Saturday rolls around or I don't want to kill myself because I need to run off the bike. Today was the day.

(Why not next week? I am afraid that in another 7 days I will have completely lost all fitness and gained 10 pounds.)

I showed up on my tri bike. Yeah. I know. The blonde girl + tri bike combination is never a good one when dealing with a whole bunch of lycra-clad males. But, seeing how I have not ridden my (old) road bike since the spring and my bike mechanic has been slightly busy, I did not have much of a choice. So I just decided to proof to them that I can, indeed, ride a bike.

The group was much smaller than usual and just the right size. Everybody always takes it fairly easy until we get to The Mailboxes. Quick pit stop. All the guys pee. Back on the horse. Faster pace until we hit The Steps. This is where the fast guys take off and sprint to the top. Not a chance but I try and don't fall back too far. Luckily we all regroup at The Turn-off. By now half the group has been dropped and turned around. On to Mormon Lake Lodge, the half-way point and re-fueling stop.

Have I mentioned that I love riding in a (well-organized and smooth) double paceline? It's one of my favorite things to do! (While looking up if paceline is one or two words, I found a great article on cycling etiquette. Read it here. I love the author's sense of humor.) We had quite a good one going today, especially on the way back and it was so fun! My Garmin shows that my fastest speed today was 46 mph! This is not ridiculously fast or anything but I don't usually go this fast anymore now that I have kids.

It was fun to meet some new athletes, including a retired pro triathlete and a brand new ITU pro who will be racing professionally for the first time in 2 weeks. This town has a plethora of amazing athletes. I love it!

On the way back is where it gets really interesting. With 2 steep and rather long hills right at the beginning, I was already about to lose it/them. Nooooo! I was just hanging at the back of the group trying not to fall off. Fortunately, I ended up next to a kind guy who said just the right things and forced me to stay with him and even take a few pulls. Yikes! Those were the longest one-minute intervals of my life! Then it happened. Around mile 45. Another break-away. There was jut no way. I was already at my limit and there was no way that I could go any faster. I busted! But I did not give up hope. I just stayed in my aero bars and kept pushing.

Then, seemingly out of nowhere, this lady on her scooter wearing a bike helmet shows up next to me (and some other stragglers) and indicates that she is going to pull us back to the group. What? Did someone hire you? So I tuck in behind her scooter and off we go! Who cares about the exhaust in my face? I've always wanted to paced by a scooter! So fun!

Anyway. With 10 miles to go, the fast guys slow down and I eventually catch up and we ride home. Maybe this was not the smartest thing to do while dealing with a head/chest cold. I was about to lose my voice at the end of the ride and am still dealing with a bad headache but - who cares? If I don't feel like working out on Monday, I won't. No big deal.


Leslie said…
I can just feel you're drive and excitement hanging onto them. Very cool

Popular posts from this blog


Can we move here already?  I love this place. 
I raced again. After a 10-month hiatus from racing due to injury, I stepped up to the starting line of the St. George Half Marathon curious to see what my body and mind had to give. Usually running 13.1 miles isn't a big deal for me but after being sidelined for so long and missing the entire 2016 season (except Oceanside which I probably should've missed), I've had a lot of questions swirling around in my head regarding this year: What will it take to be truly healthy? Will I ever be fit again? Can my body handle racing in 2017? Do I still want to race? What if my competitive fire is gone? Am I ready for a possible setback? What if I fail again? I know failing doesn't make me a failure. But what about repeatedly failing? Does that make me a failure? Most of these questions I won't have an answer to until I give it a try. Even then some might go unanswered and that's ok. Probably the one I have asked myself the mos…

RTTC - Sonja Wieck - New Coach!

I've known Sonja Wieck for a while. Scratch that. She has known me for a while. I have known (about) her for years. Can't remember how I found her blog but I did and couldn't stop reading. Not (only) because she has been at the very top of our age group for years and I wanted to find out her secrets to being fast and successful but because she has such good insights into all aspects of life and can express my exact feelings better than I can myself at times! We have had some good battles out there on race day and, whenever she is spectating a race that I am competing in, I breathe a sigh of relief: Someone out there is going to know JUST what I will need to hear! So, yes, I love that girl! 

I caught glimpses of her building this coaching business and I knew that it was going to be good. Really good. Sonja doesn't do things half-heartedly. When she is in. She is ALL IN. I was happy with my coach - Liz Waterstraat/Multipart Mastery - in 2016 and was planning on continui…

Oregon - The Consolation Trip

frolicking on the beach 

I had been really excited for my trip to Ironman Texas and once it became clear that racing (and training) was not an option for the near future, I began to make other plans. Karl and I made an arrangement after we realized that we will be at his parents for longer than originally hoped for: I would get to go on a little trip once a month. Or maybe I just told him that's what I was going to do. Can't remember. Knowing myself and how much not being able to train affects my mental health, I was keen to take a break from doctor visits and physical therapy appointments here and there to do the things that make me feel alive and bring me joy.

As soon as Texas was off the table, I called my good friend Anne and booked a flight to Portland. I had been wanting to visit her for so long but money and time away from home is usually allocated to racing. Might as well make the best of a shitty racing season!

So at the end of May I took the train to Salt Lake, the t…